Nike tweaks Purdue's Logo

Purdue Logo

The Exponent

According to The Exponent, Purdue will have a new logo in the coming months. Like the old one, it still features the train, only with a few tweaks, recommended by Nike. See the logo in this post.

[BTN.com: Purdue gives Motion "P" logo slight makeover]

Here’s a quote from The Exponent on the new logo:

“It’s really a Nike driven initiative,” Associate Athletics Director Tom Schott said. “Nike had come to us a while back with some suggestions. Nike said the train logo we used was not good on apparel. The smoke didn’t work on shirts and hats. They recommended this slight revision.”

See the old logo below:

Old Purdue Logo

So, as you can see, it’s not a HUGE change. Everything is centered, that’s the biggest difference. Other changes: the “P” on the front of the engine is gone, the “PURDUE” is smaller, written all in one color (gold) and placed on an all-black background, and there’s less old gold throughout.

[BTN.com: Purdue puts new train logo on football jerseys]

What do you think? Vote below.

Sure looks like Purdue fans aren’t too excited about the change. One Purdue fan even tweeted me his redesign. See it below:

BTN.com web editor Brent Yarina writes the Clothes Call features. Send him your Big Ten fashion tips here, find all of his work here and follow him on Twitter at @BTNBrentYarina.

Mark on 4/25/2012 @ 3:55pm EDT Said:

Put the P back in and i am good with it.

Big Shot C Wat on 4/25/2012 @ 4:00pm EDT Said:

Looks like a cannon

Melissa on 4/25/2012 @ 4:07pm EDT Said:

This just looks silly. I am a Purdue student and I don’t want to wear things with this logo on it. It looks like a cartoon not something that all the Purdue fans would want to have on our clothes. Or at least not me.

Suzie on 4/25/2012 @ 4:09pm EDT Said:

On the new logo, it’s not as clear that it’s a train, and doesn’t have the same motion to it as the old logo.

Cynical Scott on 4/25/2012 @ 4:12pm EDT Said:

The smoke behind the train looks like Buddha or a giant nose.

jmsincla on 4/25/2012 @ 4:21pm EDT Said:

As usual, Nike gets involved and ruins something. Just like the attempted Purdue Pete change..this isn’t needed. I don’t care if it prints well on hats or not.

Natalie on 4/25/2012 @ 4:28pm EDT Said:

It looks like the train is on fire…

Huh? on 4/25/2012 @ 4:36pm EDT Said:

“Nike said the train logo we used was not good on apparel. The smoke didn’t work on shirts and hats.”

Uhh… it’s printed on tens of thousands of shirts and hats that people are wearing today. Looks like the previous supplier was able to make it work just fine. Maybe Nike should be dropped if they can’t perform as well as the previous supplier.

Michael on 4/25/2012 @ 4:41pm EDT Said:

The current logo was fine. The new logo? Not so much. Where is the “Strongly dislike” choice??

D Schu on 4/25/2012 @ 5:03pm EDT Said:

What a horrible change? It doesn’t even look like a train. Less gold? Why? That is dumb too. I won’t buy any clothing article with that on it. Hideous. Nike is an idiot. I’m completely flabbergasted.

Clayton on 4/25/2012 @ 5:04pm EDT Said:

If Nike wanted to change Purdue’s logo, they should have went BIG. The logo has always lacked in my opinion and could use more than this minor change. Come on Nike, show me something Purdue students will go wild for!

Jill on 4/25/2012 @ 5:08pm EDT Said:

I’m a Purdue alum. Since when does Nike get to decide this? Isn’t this a Purdue decision? The new logo looks like a kid’s book train. The old logo has a sense for forward movement, a force coming through. Don’t change just to change (and get people to buy stuff). Hopefully this will go the way of the new Purdue Pete.

Mitchell on 4/25/2012 @ 5:16pm EDT Said:

I have no quarrels with a more symmetric logo to make merchandise production easier, but the new logo is simply bland. The “P” needs to be back on front of the engine, it is a Purdue icon, the graphics need to be sharper like the old logo, and old gold is our primary color, why was the decision made to include less of it?

Susan on 4/25/2012 @ 6:09pm EDT Said:

Didn’t know Thomas the tank was coming back. Go back to action p

neal on 4/25/2012 @ 6:17pm EDT Said:

the smoke looks like a nose
and the lettering looks like crap

Craig on 4/25/2012 @ 6:24pm EDT Said:

Leave it to Nike to change our schools logo to better sell their product. It does not look good or like a train or like smoke. Sure take the P off the front of the train and while we are at it make it less crisp. That way we can lower the cost of making it and make more money while we are at it.

Tyler C. on 4/25/2012 @ 6:25pm EDT Said:

The Oregon football team has 384 uniform combinations and this is all Nike could come up with??

gizmo on 4/25/2012 @ 7:14pm EDT Said:

Do. Not. Want.

As noted before the good logo is on thousands of shirts and hats.

Drop Nike or make them use the old logo.

paul hackett on 4/25/2012 @ 7:49pm EDT Said:

don’t mess with what is good. I think PURDUE should go back to Champion clothing and tell Nike go mess with the SEC.

Ben S. on 4/25/2012 @ 7:51pm EDT Said:

I will never buy anything with this logo on it. Maybe that doesn’t mean much to the powers that be out in Beaverton, but it’s the absolute truth. This is disgracefully bad.

Rankin Dad on 4/25/2012 @ 8:00pm EDT Said:

I’d just as well kept the old one- but if i must live with it so be it. I’m a boiler through & True no matter the logo. GO BOILERS

Krenzelicious on 4/25/2012 @ 8:26pm EDT Said:

The smoke is too symmetrical. It causes the eyes and brain to want to make the smoke legible as a separate form unto itself (like Buddha, as suggested below). It distracts from the focus on the more important elements of the design – the steam engine, the Purdue name itself, the BRAND. Surprised this came from Nike.

Make the smoke/steam asymmetrical and you’ll be halfway there.

James Gardner on 4/25/2012 @ 8:51pm EDT Said:

The old one looks much stronger. Besides, they would have to change Keady Court! Keep the old. The new looks to cartoonish.

Ryan H. on 4/25/2012 @ 8:55pm EDT Said:

logo change is clearly because it is cheaper to print the newer logo since it is simpler. Don’t cheap out on us guys. We know good quality when we see it.

Bryan on 4/25/2012 @ 8:58pm EDT Said:

The updated logo looks like a child from the 60’s drew it. The lettering is too blocky and I agree with all of the negative comments above. Nike (and Purdue Athletics) are blowing their own smoke on this. I would bet the real reason they want to change it is that it would be lower cost to produce the embroidered items. Just another out of touch maneuver that will dilute our identity.

Tom Gallivan on 4/25/2012 @ 9:11pm EDT Said:

Don’t think opinions matter, logo looks like the one on the new
2012 schedule t-shirts for sale. Way to go Purdue!!!

RH on 4/25/2012 @ 9:38pm EDT Said:

Snowplow blade + combination lock + cloud = bad logo. The comments identifying this as printing cost reduction are spot on.

Katie K. on 4/25/2012 @ 9:54pm EDT Said:

Wow. Nike you totally hit the fail button on this one. As a Purdue alum AND fashion designer with a fine art minor I almost lost it! A logo change should be a Purdue issue NOT a Nike decision. Obviously this makes us look like we as a school are indecisive and easily bullied by major corporations. Boo to the five year old kid of a Nike exec and boo to Purdue for not sticking to their guns! I won’t be buying any merch with this “logo” on it. Long live Pete and Boiler Up!

Glo on 4/25/2012 @ 9:59pm EDT Said:

I’m not even a Purdue fan, but I hate the new logo. It has absolutely zero resemblance to a train. Meanwhile, Go Bucks!

Gretchen B. on 4/25/2012 @ 10:39pm EDT Said:

First we changed, and in my opinion ruined, Pete. Now they disgraced Boilermakers everywhere with this change to the Express Logo!

bmf on 4/26/2012 @ 12:06am EDT Said:

its probably just cheaper to manufacture, our logo is probably just to detailed for their processes (profits lol)

dankirkd on 4/26/2012 @ 12:25am EDT Said:

It looks like I’m staring down the barrel of a gun. Not a good thing. Can’t tell it is a train engine from that perspective.

Janice Morris on 4/26/2012 @ 2:21am EDT Said:

I agree with almost every post on here. I’m an alumn and season ticket holder to both football and basketball for somewhere around 40 years. This cartoon puts the emphasis on the steam, not on the Boilermaker Express which is our true mascot. Tradition has always meant so very much to me over the years; but if things are going to be changed every time you change vendors, then where’s the tradition. (GG, keep them away from the AAMB). I’m not too happy about sending my very hard earned and saved money to an institution that lets and outside vendor decide what our logo should look like. I have plenty of Purdue shirts from over the years. I’ll just wear them. Get rid of this logo, or get rid of Nike!

Matt on 4/26/2012 @ 6:57am EDT Said:

Well… I hate the new logo.. I dislike Nike pushing us around just make their life easier. I will NOT buy anything with this logo. What’s next muppet Pete?

Sean M on 4/26/2012 @ 8:13am EDT Said:

As a Purdue alumnus, I think this new logo looks terrible. It looks like someone drew this in MS Paint. Like everyone else said, it doesn’t even look like a train. Take a hint from the Purdue Pete fiasco, and stick with the old logo. If the NFL can tell Nike “No thanks” to uniform changes, so can Purdue. I would be insulted if I were in Purdue marketing, and a multimillion dollar athletics company showed this mockery of a design.

Mike Schmidt on 4/26/2012 @ 8:49am EDT Said:

I’m an Indiana grad and I have to admit that the new logo stinks. Purdue, don’t let Nike dictate something so important as a logo.

Thomas Rudy on 4/26/2012 @ 8:58am EDT Said:

AS AN OLD ALUM….THE NEW LOGO IS JUST PLAIN AWFUL!!

Living Physics Original Drummer on 4/26/2012 @ 9:05am EDT Said:

I like the old one better. With the new one, the smoke is too symmetric. It needs to look a bit more random. Nike probably just got a new embroidering machine and can’t do the old logo and now they want to change.

Preston on 4/26/2012 @ 9:37am EDT Said:

Why not make this an alternate logo and not a replacement? The apparel makers can pick a logo they want to use and then the consumers will decide which logo they want to wear. I have a feeling the old logo will win, but who knows. Another question, I have apparel with the current Purdue logo on it and it looks fine, why does Nike have a problem with it?

James on 4/26/2012 @ 9:52am EDT Said:

It’s odd that nike would have a problem with the non-symetrical logo, given they have the most recognizable non-symetrical logo ever. They seem to make the swoosh work just fine on hats and shirts

SMD on 4/26/2012 @ 9:52am EDT Said:

Seriously? I didn’t think our logo could get much worse than it already was. Do you think it’s a coincidence that more and more “retro” Purdue apparel is being sold? It’s because our logo, and colors look horrible. Old Gold has turned into beige/mushroom, and now the P is gone from the train? Come on. Since when should an apparel company make decisions that frankly only means more money for them??? Perhaps Purdue should listen to their current students and alums that are the ones that really matter. We are already battling the almighty Cream and Crimson and Irish in this state, and a still wimpier logo with even less identitiy is an insult to the Boiler nation.

Terry Whitlow on 4/26/2012 @ 10:08am EDT Said:

Wrong decision by Purdue to approve this design. Not buying a single thing with this new logo and will tell my alum friends to do the same.

Stacy Moore on 4/26/2012 @ 10:10am EDT Said:

I think there are positives and negatives to both the new logo and the old logo. The new typeface used for “Purdue” is great. More modern and definitely fits in better with the new “modern” look of the jerseys for both the football team. I also like the elimination of the block P because when printed small the block be can become unrecognizable and a distraction. I do like the “forward motion” look of the old logo though, it comes off way more agressive. I would be nice to see more of a “happy medium” between the old logo and the new one. I think this is on the right track and could be something great. Less is more. :)

Stacy Moore on 4/26/2012 @ 10:16am EDT Said:

I think there are positives and negatives to both logos. I love the new typeface chosen for “Purdue.” It definitely brings a more modern feel to the logo which is constant with the new looks of the jerseys for both the football and basketball team. I also like the elimination of the block P because when printed small, the block P can be come unrecognizable and a distraction. I also like the use of gold in the new logo, it looks sharper. I do like the forward motion of the old logo and would like to see what the new one would look like with that element. Overall, I think this new logo can be something great. Embrace a little change, people!

Rona Bobey on 4/26/2012 @ 1:51pm EDT Said:

Hate it. Gold is wrong, Hard to read. Doesn’t look like a train, and doesn’t look like it is moving forward either, let alone Boiling over anyone!!

Steve on 4/26/2012 @ 2:19pm EDT Said:

Old one far better looking! No doubt about it.

Steve-O on 4/26/2012 @ 2:37pm EDT Said:

TERRIBLE! Purdue’s mascot is every *good* marketers dream: a freakin’ locomotive! Talk about an incredible recruiting tool. A train is every little boys dream, yet Purdue completely underutilizes it. Two of the hottest cartoons are “Thomas the Train” and “Chuggington”, yet Purdue doesn’t even sell a plastic Boilermaker Special toy train for kids. In my opinion, marketing at Purdue needs a complete overhaul. And why isn’t there an actual locomotive parked somewhere on campus? The band doesn’t even play songs like “Workin’ on the Railroad” or “Wabash Cannonball” and our school is located on the freakin’ banks of the Wabash!!!!. Ok.. rant over. Sorry.

Adam on 4/26/2012 @ 3:59pm EDT Said:

Wow thats bad. Who designed this? a kid in junior high school? They get to change our school colors as well?

Gordo on 4/26/2012 @ 5:12pm EDT Said:

I agree that this so called ‘new’ logo looks like a child’s cartoon. It looks foolish and I refuse to buy anything with this logo on it. Can’t we just SAY NO TO NIKE??????

Bryan on 4/26/2012 @ 7:39pm EDT Said:

Perhaps this should be the proverbial straw that breaks the camel’s back. Morgan Burke has done a lot of great things at Purdue as the Athletic Director. Some new and younger blood in that position is getting pretty overdue as Morgan has run out of good ideas. This makes me regret all the money I have given to the JPC over the years to support the brand that Purdue represents. We apparently have no brand. Not buying anything with this logo – or anything Nike makes. Purdue has completely sold out to the almighty dollar and we still don’t have nationally competitive teams in any major sport.

Joe on 4/27/2012 @ 8:05pm EDT Said:

Stacy Moore hits the nail on the head relatively well in her comments above. From a graphic design perspective, the old logo creates a number of issues when recreated for small items/uses (the “p” in the center of the engine would be a nightmare to reproduce in knitted items, for example). The new logo eliminates most, but not all of those issues. There are still some finite details to what NIKE created that will not render properly at small sizes, but I think this is an overall modern update with slick aspects to it. Not perfect, but it has some improvements. Change of this sort is always hard for people to understand/accept, so negative first reactions shouldn’t be shocking. I can also understand the comments questioning an apparel company’s authority in logo/brand changes for outside entities. From an IU fan/grad, I like it and think it’s a step in a good direction for Purdue and their fans/alumni.

R.C. Cohen on 4/27/2012 @ 8:14pm EDT Said:

New logo is awful. Not even a Purdue grad, but a grad of two other B1G conference schools. Since when does the University listen to the apparel company. The clothing company is supposed to listen to what the University wants. If they don’t want the business there are other athletic apparel companies to choose from. Sick of Nike messing around with school colors, uniforms and logos just to try to make money.

Derek Brock on 4/29/2012 @ 5:16am EDT Said:

The new logo stinks – drop this clunker and go back with the older version. Nike needs to re-evaluate its decision-making process – looks like around 85% of the posts are strongly against the new logo.

spwoodall on 4/30/2012 @ 6:02pm EDT Said:

Disappointed in the new logo design. It was a good idea in theory, however needed some more work on the follow-through. I had quickly redesigned the logo, combining the best parts of both designs. I mean, you cannot ditch the Action P on the front of the train, and the chimney needs to actually look like a chimney, not a canon as noted above.

Bob Maicher on 5/2/2012 @ 6:28pm EDT Said:

Absolutely hate it! Wish Steve Crist would fix his cow catcher grill to just old gold letters and his would be 200% than this Nike mess!

sub on 5/6/2012 @ 5:56pm EDT Said:

Ugh, I grew up with the old logo. I wouldn’t care if Nike made it symmetric, but otherwise kept it the same. This is just hideous.

Also. For. The. Love. Of. Nike, don’t change our school colors. ‘K?

Rachel on 5/15/2012 @ 4:47pm EDT Said:

If you want to see another redesign of the Purdue logo go to stephenwoodall.com and check it out. I believe that this is a better logo than any of the “new” ones proposed.

PUAlumni on 8/12/2012 @ 8:44pm EDT Said:

I will not purchase anything with this new logo on it. What an elementary level attempt at change. The quality and picture are now worse :/

Eric on 8/25/2012 @ 8:54pm EDT Said:

I hope that this is an early April Fools joke! The current logo is great and does not need to change (it is way better than the small looking train logo that they had when I went to Purdue), I plan to buy a bunch of shirts now with the current logo because I will never buy a shirt with the new logo!

Mike on 8/29/2012 @ 2:08pm EDT Said:

Goodness. As an IU fan, I feel sorry for Purdue, this new logo is absolutely awful.

paul hackett on 8/29/2012 @ 2:53pm EDT Said:

what is wrong with Nike? We don’t like the new logo and will refuse to buy Nike clothing with that new logo on it. dispose the NEW logo and return to the old logo or don’t expect a rise in sales. Or maybe go back to Champion, Russell, or any intelligent manufacturer.

rex on 8/30/2012 @ 5:37pm EDT Said:

Looks like a clock tower/smokestack

edsg25 on 9/18/2012 @ 5:33pm EDT Said:

I hope that Purdue is as smart as MSU. MSU had its classic Spartan profile, one of the top college logos and then the university tried to pass off a cut rate, awful version of that iconic logo. Luckily the fans won the day and the new logo was canned. This is exactly the same as the relationship between Purdue’s current locomotive logo and the new one suggested here.

kaptainkoolaid on 10/5/2012 @ 7:56am EDT Said:

It seems that every time Purdue tries to “upgrade”, it ends up being a major downgrade (new Purdue Pete, Vegas gold [BEIGE], etc.,etc.); I realize that this is a Nike move, but who at Purdue signs-off on this garbage??

Purdue Trademark Licensing + Nike “design team” = The blind leading the blind… on the Ray Charles Memorial Parkway no less! A virtual case study of incompetence.

paul hackett on 10/5/2012 @ 11:31am EDT Said:

If nike likes the new logo so well, let them but all the merchandise with it on. LEAVE the old train logo alone. It’s PURDUE, not that dumb thing Nike likes. Give Nike’s money back and look for a new supplier.

BoilerDad on 6/27/2013 @ 5:26pm EDT Said:

I suspect this is a Nike cost reduction move to lower their production costs before they raise OUR purchase price. C’mon Nike, get off your wallet.

Lucie on 7/7/2013 @ 6:30pm EDT Said:

Does your site have a contact page? I’m having a tough time locating it but, I’d like to
send you an email. I’ve got some ideas for your blog you might be interested in hearing. Either way, great site and I look forward to seeing it grow over time.

Erin on 7/30/2013 @ 7:49pm EDT Said:

I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. hate it. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. I hate it. It looks disgusting and stupid like a nose or a more inappropriate symbol. Go back to the old logo it looks great on thousands on shorts and hats now.