Tom Dienhart, BTN.com Senior Writer, November 1, 2015
It?s all about the holy trinity of Ohio State, Michigan State and Iowa, which replaces Michigan, in my latest Big Ten Power Rankings, presented by ArcelorMittal. Then, there?s everyone else.
[ MORE: Best of Week 9 | Week 9 scoreboard | Big Ten standings | Big Ten stats | Latest polls | Power Rankings | Bowl Projections | What Tom Dienhart learned | Dienhart: Hackenberg has Penn State on a roll | Week 9 picks revisited | Week 9 top performers | Watch Minnesota honor Jerry Kill | Gerry DiNardo's tweets | Like Halloween costumes? | View your team's homepage ]
See my latest list below:
1. Ohio State (8-0, 4-0). The Buckeyes were off but still made perhaps the biggest news of the weekend-for all the wrong reasons. Will J.T. Barrett?s arrest and subsequent one-game suspension impact Ohio State negatively? Nah.
Last week: 1
Up next: vs. Minnesota
|POWER RANKINGS PRESENTED BY|
2. Michigan State (8-0, 4-0). The ugliest looking 8-0 team in America. Who cares? The Spartans? bye week would have been more perfect had Michigan lost.
Last week: 2
Up next: at Nebraska
3. Iowa (8-0, 4-0). That?s eight wins in a row and counting for the Hawkeyes. Can this team go 12-0? You bet it can, especially with its talent and remaining manageable schedule.
Last week: 4
Up next: at Indiana
4. Michigan (6-2, 3-1). I'll say it again: Let?s call that win at Minnesota payback for the loss vs. Michigan State. Now, the Wolverines are even with the football gods.
Last week: 3
Up next: vs. Rutgers
5. Wisconsin (7-2, 4-1). It was good to see Corey Clement back, and he showed no signs of rust (11 car., 115 yards, 3 TD). Do you think the Badgers would have beaten Iowa had he played? Interesting.
Last week: 5
Up next: at Maryland
6. Northwestern (6-2, 2-2). The Wildcats were off. Let?s hope the offense doesn?t lose the mojo it found the last time out at Nebraska when it tallied 30 points.
Last week: 6
Up next: vs. Penn State
7. Penn State (7-2, 4-1). The Nittany Lions are playing very well, winners of seven of their last eight games. Thank QB Christian Hackenberg.
Last week: 7
Up next: at Northwestern
8. Illinois (4-4, 1-3). That?s three losses in a row since that miracle win vs. Nebraska. This team can?t run, notching a combined 138 yards rushing the last three games.
Last week: 8
Up next: at Purdue
9. Rutgers (3-5, 1-4). How bad has it been the last two weeks? The Scarlet Knights have been outscored 97-17. A trip to Michigan is next, so it might not get much better.
Last week: 10
Up next: at Michigan
10. Nebraska (3-6, 1-4). Just when you thought things couldn?t get any worse for the Cornhuskers ? Even Bill Callahan never lost six games before November. No NU coach ever had-until now.
Last week: 9
Up next: vs. Michigan State
11. Minnesota (4-4, 1-3). Brutal week in Dinkytown. First, Jerry Kill abruptly retires. Then, the Gophers lose a drama-charged heartbreaker to Michigan.
Last week: 11
Up next: at Ohio State
12. Indiana (4-4, 0-4). The Hoosiers won their first four games; lost their next four; have four left. What?s it gonna be?
Last week: 12
Up next: vs. Iowa
13. Purdue (2-6, 1-3). The sigh of relief you heard came from West Lafayette, as the Boilermakers won their first Big Ten home game since ? 2012. Is this the start of something?
Last week: 14
Up next: vs. Illinois
14. Maryland (2-6, 0-4). Welcome to the cellar. That?s five losses in a row, as the Terps have allowed 184 points during the swoon (36.8 ppg). Will Maryland win again?
Last week: 13
Up next: vs. Wisconsin
And if you want to leave a comment on this post, use the box below. All comments need to be approved by a moderator.