Power Rankings: Say 'hello' to BTN.com's new No. 1 team, Iowa
We have a shakeup in my latest Big Ten Power Rankings, presented by ArcelorMittal!
[ MORE: Best of Week 12 | Week 12 scores | Stats | Standings | Polls | Power Rankings | Bowl Projections | Mailbag | Week 12 picks revisited | Dienhart: Spartans end Buckeyes’ pursuit of perfection | What did our guy learn? | Week 12 award winners | Twitter: Iowa family reacts to Big Ten West title | YouTube highlights ]
That’s right, put on your black-and-gold stripped overalls and say “hello” to new top dog Iowa!
How far did Ohio State, the season-long No. 1 on my list, fall following the last-second home loss to Michigan State?
See my latest poll below!
1. Iowa (11-0, 7-0). It’s 11 victories in a row and counting for the Cinderella Hawkeyes, who have playoff dreams dancing in their heads.
Last week: 2
Up next: at Nebraska
|POWER RANKINGS PRESENTED BY|
2. Michigan State (10-1, 6-1). The Spartans do what the Spartans do—win big games. Now, MSU is in line to win the East after that stunning victory at Ohio State.
Last week: 4
Up next: vs. Penn State
3. Ohio State (10-1, 6-1). The Buckeyes will analyze the Michigan State loss for years. Just 12 carries for Ezekiel Elliott? I’m still scratching my head.
Last week: 1
Up next: at Michigan
4. Michigan (9-2, 6-1). Jim Harbaugh Big Ten Coach of the Year? It has a good ring to it. Just wait until he has a roster of players he recruited.
Last week: 3
Up next: vs. Ohio State
5. Northwestern (9-2, 5-2). The Wildcats are aiming for just their second 10-win season ever, as NU has become a master at winning close games.
Last week: 5
Up next: vs. Illinois (Soldier Field)
6. Wisconsin (8-3, 5-2). The offensive woes continue to confound. I never thought I’d see the day the Badgers had minus-26 yards rushing in a game.
Last week: 6
Up next: at Minnesota
7. Penn State (7-4, 4-3). This team beats who it is supposed to beat … and it loses to who it is supposed to lose to. It’s average—or a little better than average.
Last week: 7
Up next: at Michigan State
8. Nebraska (5-6, 3-4). The Cornhuskers have won two in a row and need one more victory to reach bowl eligibility. Iowa is next. Could Nebraska end the Hawkeyes’ perfect run?
Last week: 8
Up next: vs. Iowa
9. Minnesota (5-6, 2-5). The Golden Gophers ended a four-game losing streak and got Tracy Claeys’ his first win. Beat Wisconsin next week, and go to a bowl.
Last week: 10
Up next: vs. Wisconsin
10. Illinois (5-6, 2-5). The Illini enter the season’s final weekend needing one more win for bowl eligibility, as Illinois has lost five of six games.
Last week: 9
Up next: vs. Northwestern (Soldier Field)
11. Indiana (5-6, 1-6). Hallelujah! The six-game losing streak is history. Win at Purdue next Saturday, and the Hoosiers are going to a bowl.
Last week: 11
Up next: at Purdue
12. Rutgers (4-7, 1-6). A four-game losing streak ended with a win at Army, thanks to a strong rushing attack.
Last week: 12
Up next: vs. Maryland
13. Maryland (2-9, 0-7). That’s eight losses in a row and counting for the Terrapins, who started the season 2-1.
Last week: 13
Up next: at Rutgers
14. Purdue (2-9, 1-6). A dreary season can’t end soon enough for the Boilermakers, who can salvage things a bit by beating Indiana next week, winning back the Old Oaken Bucket and ending the Hoosiers’ bowl hopes.
Last week: 14
Up next: vs. Indiana
And if you want to leave a comment on this post, use the box below. All comments need to be approved by a moderator.