Did You See This? Iowa honors Chris Street

Twenty years to the day of his death, Iowa honored former basketball player Chris Street at halftime of Saturday’s game against Wisconsin. Street died in a car accident on Jan. 19, 1993, during his junior season in Iowa City. On Saturday, the Hawkeyes welcomed back Street’s family, honored every Iowa Chris Street Award winner, first handed out in 1993, and aired a video montage of Street as a player and person. Watch the tribute now.

[ RELATED: Want to embed a BTN.com video? Here's how to do it! ]

BTN announcers Brian Anderson and Shon Morris also spotlighted Street during the telecast:

About Brent Yarina BTN.com web editor Brent Yarina covers football and men’s basketball for BTN.com. He writes the popular uniform feature “Clothes Call,” which also focuses on the latest cosmetic changes across Big Ten arenas and stadiums. Read all of his work here. You can subscribe to Yarina’s RSS feed and follow him on Twitter @BTNBrentYarina.

Find out more about: ,

Jim Holloway on 1/19/2013 @ 11:42pm EDT Said:

I cried as I watched the video tribute. Jim Holloway Murfreesboro, TN but still a die – hard Hawkeye fan

thePhelps on 1/20/2013 @ 7:59am EDT Said:

Great game but I have reached the conclusion I don’t like the Big Ten network. One of the reasons Chris Street had a large following and a huge fan base was because of the Iowa Television Network and the broadcasters – who actually knew the players on the team.

While I am a fan of the Big Ten – I grew up a Hawkeye fan because of the fact I could get every game in every sport locally with local broadcasters.

The recent additions to the Big Ten and the fact that the Big Ten Network even exists – is a pure example of $$ leading, and greed is following. These broadcasters were barely articulate and had no clue who Chris Street was and read what they were told to read. The network did little to show the halftime tribute.

The broadcasts on the BTN are about the BTN and how it is showcasing the BTN. I am not a fan.

Jerry Jacobsen on 1/20/2013 @ 10:35am EDT Said:

Nice to see BTN at least posted part of the tribute to Chris Street here. Thought it was unforgiving that they felt it moe important to show highlights of other games than to air the tribute as it was happening at halftime. This was a tribute to a great Hawkeye player and an even greater person who was taken from us way too early! You blew it big time BTN!

Steve Ives on 1/20/2013 @ 10:57am EDT Said:

Nope. Didn’t get to see it. Thought the BTN would show it at halftime. Instead we had to suffer through Sam Vincent (who acted like it was painful to talk) and Jim (I HATE IOWA) Jackson talking about like they know about basketball…and Lord knows they DON’T!
I like the BTN a lot….great network. But in all honesty I’m really diappointed the tribute wasn’t shown live. Leave the worthless commentary to another time. This young man embraced all that was good about college athletics and living life to the fullest. The least the BTN could have done was air the tribute.

Emily Barton-Lambe on 1/20/2013 @ 3:52pm EDT Said:

@thePhelps…I just read an interview this week with Tom Davis, who discussed this very thing – how different the media was at that time (Iowa games broadcasted on three different radio stations) and the influence on social media today. I miss the local stations broadcasting every single game with the familiar voices of Hawkeye basketball/football.

Paul on 1/20/2013 @ 8:05pm EDT Said:

There’s no doubt in my mind that if he had played at Indiana, Michigan, Michigan State, or Ohio State they would have shown the tribute. Most of their programming is replaying those schools over and over.

Shannon on 1/20/2013 @ 9:46pm EDT Said:

I was so disappointed that the BTN did not show the halftime tribute to Chris Street. I had to watch it on You Tube an hour after the game. At the beginning of the broadcast after a few brief words about Street and the halftime memorial the comment was made “we’ll cover that for you”. And all that was shown was Street’s parents hugging a couple former players. In a day where not all athletes are the role models we like them to be, BTN had the opportunity to show the heart of a true Hawkeye and from all accounts a wonderful young man. BTN failed on this one. For those of you who haven’t seen it KCCI TV in Des Moines had a wonderful special that was is shown in 2 parts on You tube and the full halftime memorial is also on You Tube.