Badgers, Huskers to wear alternates Saturday night

Saturday night’s Wisconsin-Nebraska Big Ten opener didn’t need a gimmick to prove it was a big game. There’s one anyway, thanks to adidas and its inaugural “Unrivaled Game,” an annual matchup of top adidas programs. The company has dubbed the tilt, “The Quick and the Red,” and, as we’ve reported (Nebraska & Wisconsin), the two teams will wear new alternate uniforms.

Here’s the Nebraska uniform:

Nebraska alternate uniform

adidas

[Huskers.com: adidas uniform photo gallery]

And the Wisconsin uniform:

Wisconsin Uniform

adidas

[UWBadgers.com: adidas uniform photo gallery]

If it wasn’t clear from the photos or photo galleries, the uniforms are of a similar design. Both feature red, naturally, and each jersey prominently showcases the school’s letter on the front, in addition to player numbers on the upper left chest.

[Related: Badgers bust out alternate helmets in practice]

The design should look familiar to Big Ten fans, because it’s the one adidas created for Michigan to wear in last season’s Notre Dame game. Clearly, it’s a look the company is proud of.

Which uniform do you like more? Tell us below:

BTN.com web editor Brent Yarina covers football and men’s basketball for BTN.com. He writes the popular uniform feature “Clothes Call,” which also focuses on the latest cosmetic changes across Big Ten arenas and stadiums. Read all of his latest work here. You can subscribe to Yarina’s RSS feed and follow him on Twitter @BTNBrentYarina.

Don on 9/24/2012 @ 4:44pm EDT Said:

neither

Ed Crawford on 9/24/2012 @ 5:57pm EDT Said:

I don’t like either one

Rick on 9/24/2012 @ 7:14pm EDT Said:

Awful, Adidas needs a new PR firm that has some taste to represent them

Ben ODonnell (@NerdBriefs) on 9/24/2012 @ 8:38pm EDT Said:

Neither. I agree with the previous 3 comments. I thought Adidas was better than Nike. Adidas’ jerseys are tasteful and are not an eyesore. These, and other, alternate uniforms are an abomination and should be burned and never mentioned again.

Scott Wilson on 9/24/2012 @ 9:45pm EDT Said:

If only they would’ve just had black pants instead of red. Then the Nebraska uniform wouldn’t look half bad to be honest.

Wendell on 9/27/2012 @ 8:58am EDT Said:

I have an issue with how flashy they are. I don’t mind the concept of an alternate uniform, if they just adjust the colors and not the design so much. There was talk of Nebraska’s being all black with red; I would’ve been in more support of that.

Kelly Weseman on 9/28/2012 @ 1:34pm EDT Said:

I like them because they are different, but they didn’t go overboard. I am a little disappointed they used the same template as Michigan’s from last year and that both NE and WI uni’s are the same except color pattern.. A little more creativity would have helped. I really like the Black NE helmet with the traditional red N and stripe down the middle.