Tom Dienhart, BTN.com Senior Writer, April 15, 2018
The last 10 NFL drafts haven't been fruitful for Maryland, as the program has had just 17 picks. Do the math. That's not even an average of two selections a year. And the the Terrapins have had just one first-round selection. Two times, Maryland has had no picks, including last year; on three other occasions, the program has had just one pick.
That poor draft history could be changing in coming years, as DJ Durkin has recruited very well since taking over in 2016. If the talent is as good as advertised, some of those decorated signees of the last three years could become NFL picks. Stay tuned.
In the last 10 drafts, defensive backs, wideouts and d-linemen have led the way with four picks at each position.
The Terps most likely to be picked later this month are WR D.J. Moore-a possible late-first-rounder-and CB JC Jackson. Others to watch are RB Ty Johnson, OT Damian Prince and LB Jermaine Carter, Jr.
Here is a breakdown of how Maryland has fared in the last 10 NFL drafts.
MARYLAND DRAFT (2008-17)
Highest pick: WR Darrius Heyward-Bey, 7th overall, 2009/Raiders
Most fertile draft: 2009, five picks
Total first-round picks: 1
Total picks: 17
- Defensive back: 4
- Receiver: 4
- Defensive line: 4
- Offensive line: 2
- Linebacker: 1
- Tight end: 1
- Running back: 1
- Fourth round: DT Dre Moore, Buccaneers
- First round: WR Darrius Heyward-Bey, Raiders
- Third round: DB Kevin Barnes, Redskins
- Seventh round: LB Moise Fokou, Eagles
- Seventh round: G Jaimie Thomas, Colts
- Seventh round: TE Dan Gronkowski, Lions
- Fourth round: G Bruce Campbell, Raiders
- Fifth round: CB Nolan Carroll, Dolphins
- Second round: WR Torrey Smith, Ravens
- Seventh round: RB Da'Rel Scott, Giants
- Seventh round: WR Kevin Dorsey, Packers
- Third round: CB Dexter McDougle, Jets
- Fifth round: WR Stefon Diggs, Vikings
- Sixth round: NT Darius Kilgo, Broncos
- Second round: S Sean Davis, Steelers
- Third round: DE Yannick Ngakoue, Jaguars
- Fifth round: DT Quinton Jefferson, Seahawks