BigTen.org, February 19, 2018
The Big Ten office released its latest weekly men's basketball honors Monday, and a first-time winner highlights the honorees.
Penn State star Tony Carr reeled in his first player of the week honor, while Maryland phenom Bruno Fernando claimed his second freshman of the week accolade.
Read more about the recipients below.
Player of the Week: Tony Carr, Penn State, G
- Averaged 24.5 points, 5.0 rebounds, 4.0 assists and went 17-of-37 (.459) from the field, including 6-of-12 (.500) from 3-point range, last week in back-to-back games against top-10 opponents
- Recorded his fourth career game of 30-plus points, on 9-of-15 shooting, in a 79-56 win vs. No. 8/9 Ohio State
- Scored a team-high 19 points and added five rebounds and five assists against No. 6/7 Purdue
- Went 9-of-13 (.692) from the free-throw line on the week and added a blocked shot and a steal vs. Purdue
- Earns his first career Big Ten Player of the Week honor
- Last Penn State Player of the Week: Brandon Taylor (Feb. 22, 2016)
Freshman of the Week: Bruno Fernando, Maryland, C
- Averaged 19.5 points, 12.5 rebounds, 3.0 assists and went 17-of-23 (.739) from the field last week
- Tied a career high with 21 points, grabbed nine rebounds and dished out a career-high five assists vs. Nebraska
- Grabbed a career-high 16 rebounds to go with a game-high 18 points in a 61-51 win vs. Rutgers
- Earns his second Big Ten Freshman of the Week honor
- Last Maryland Freshman of the Week: Bruno Fernando (Jan. 8, 2018); Prior: Darryl Morsell (Nov. 20, 2017)