BTN.com staff, December 19, 2016
The Big Ten rolled out the weekly basketball honors Monday. Purdue Boilermakers sophomore Caleb Swanigan was named Player of the Week after a big win over Notre Dame. Purdue plays Western Illinois tonight on BTN/BTN2Go.
Penn State Nittany Lions freshman Mike Watkins was named Freshman of the Week after Penn State topped St. John's.
Player of the Week: Caleb Swanigan, Purdue (F - So. - 6-9 - Fort Wayne, Ind. - Homestead)
- Poured in 26 points, pulled down 10 rebounds and recorded four blocks in the Boilermakers' win over nationally-ranked Notre Dame at the Crossroads Classic in Indianapolis
- Converted 11-of-19 field goals
- Posted his eighth double-double of the season
- Currently averaging 20.0 points and 9.7 rebounds per game versus ranked foes this season
- Earns his second career Player of the Week honor and second this season
- Last Purdue Player of the Week: Caleb Swanigan (Nov. 28, 2016)
Freshman of the Week: Mike Watkins, Penn State (F/C - 6-9 - Philadelphia, Pa. - The Phelps School)
- Scored 15 points, corralled 13 rebounds, handed out four assists and recorded three blocks in the Nittany Lions' win over St. John's at Madison Square Garden
- Converted 6-of-10 field goals
- Posted his third double-double of the season, becoming the first Penn State freshman to accomplish the feat since 2003
- Has led the Nittany Lions in rebounding seven times this season
- Earns his first Freshman of the Week honor, and becomes the first Nittany Lions' player to claim the award since it began prior to the 2010-11 season