Caleb Swanigan, Mike Watkins score weekly Big Ten hoops honors
The Big Ten rolled out the weekly basketball honors Monday. Purdue Boilermakers sophomore Caleb Swanigan was named Player of the Week after a big win over Notre Dame. Purdue plays Western Illinois tonight on BTN/BTN2Go.
Penn State Nittany Lions freshman Mike Watkins was named Freshman of the Week after Penn State topped St. John’s.
Player of the Week: Caleb Swanigan, Purdue (F – So. – 6-9 – Fort Wayne, Ind. – Homestead)
- Poured in 26 points, pulled down 10 rebounds and recorded four blocks in the Boilermakers’ win over nationally-ranked Notre Dame at the Crossroads Classic in Indianapolis
- Converted 11-of-19 field goals
- Posted his eighth double-double of the season
- Currently averaging 20.0 points and 9.7 rebounds per game versus ranked foes this season
- Earns his second career Player of the Week honor and second this season
- Last Purdue Player of the Week: Caleb Swanigan (Nov. 28, 2016)
Freshman of the Week: Mike Watkins, Penn State (F/C – 6-9 – Philadelphia, Pa. – The Phelps School)
- Scored 15 points, corralled 13 rebounds, handed out four assists and recorded three blocks in the Nittany Lions’ win over St. John’s at Madison Square Garden
- Converted 6-of-10 field goals
- Posted his third double-double of the season, becoming the first Penn State freshman to accomplish the feat since 2003
- Has led the Nittany Lions in rebounding seven times this season
- Earns his first Freshman of the Week honor, and becomes the first Nittany Lions’ player to claim the award since it began prior to the 2010-11 season