Tom Dienhart, BTN.com Senior Writer, October 2, 2016
Ohio State is still king of the Big Ten. This much is clear following Week 5 in the Big Ten. Other things we know: Iowa and Michigan State are fading, while perfect Maryland is rising.
Check out my latest Big Ten Power Rankings, presented by ArcelorMittal, below.
1. Ohio State (4-0, 1-0). Another Saturday, another easy win. Can the Buckeyes be beaten? The defense is off-the-charts good, and the offense isn't too shabby.
Last week: 1
Up next: vs. Indiana
2. Michigan (5-0, 2-0). The Wolverines finally will go on the road next week after opening the season with five home games, the latest an impressive win over then-No. 8 Wisconsin.
Last week: 3
Up next: vs. Rutgers
3. Nebraska (5-0, 2-0). The Huskers trailed entering the fourth quarter vs. Illinois before scoring 21 unanswered points to pull away. This team continues to get stronger.
Last week: 4
Up next: Idle
4. Wisconsin (4-1, 1-1). The Badgers finally tasted defeat, a respectable 14-7 loss at No. 4 Michigan, as they continue to march through a rugged slate. Still, this may be the best team in the West.
Last week: 2
Up next: Idle
5. Maryland (4-0, 1-0). Don?t look now, but the Terrapins are off to a 4-0 start as they head to Penn State next week. They haven't been tested yet, but this team could be dangerous.
Last week: 8
Up next: at Penn State
6. Penn State (3-2, 1-1). The shorthanded Nittany Lions got a much-needed win at home vs. Minnesota. QB Trace McSorley is a special player.
Last week: 9
Up next: vs. Maryland
7. Indiana (3-1, 1-0). The Hoosiers may have had a program-transforming win vs. Michigan State. Can the Hoosiers build on the impressive overtime victory?
Last week: 10
Up next: at Ohio State
8. Minnesota (3-1, 0-1). The Gophers looked like they had victory wrapped up before watching Penn State rally to win in overtime. This was a heartbreaker.
Last week: 7
Up next: vs. Iowa
9. Northwestern (2-3, 1-1). The Wildcats showed their 1-3 start isn?t indicative, as NU pulled out what may be a season-saving win at Iowa.
Last week: 12
Up next: Idle
10. Iowa (3-2, 1-1). That's two home losses for the Hawkeyes, who are surprisingly struggling in the trenches on both sides of the ball.
Last week: 5
Up next: at Minnesota
11. Michigan State (2-2, 0-2). Make it two losses in a row for the defending Big Ten champ. MSU?s offense still needs some work.
Last week: 6
Up next: vs. BYU
12. Illinois (1-3, 0-1). Moral victories don?t count, but that?s what the Illini scored at Nebraska, which it led entering the fourth quarter before falling.
Last week: 14
Up next: vs. Illinois
13. Rutgers (2-3, 0-2). The Scarlet Knights took their lumps at Ohio State. There will be days like this as Chris Ash looks to build the program.
Last week: 11
Up next: vs. Michigan
14. Purdue (2-2, 0-1). The Boilermakers got whipped in every phase of the game at Maryland, getting outrushed, 400-10. Embarrassing.
Last week: 13
Up next: at Illinois