Harold Shelton III, BTN Studio Researcher, September 9, 2016
The rivalry is back! Penn State takes on Pittsburgh at noon ET on Saturday.
I?ve got five things to know before the Nittany Lions kick off Week 2 in the Big Ten.
1. An in-state showdown is renewed as Penn State and Pitt face off for the 1st time since 2000. The teams played every season from 1900-31 and 1935-92 but have played just four times since then.
2. Penn State has won 7 of the last 8 meetings in this rivalry, with the only loss coming in 2000.
3. Pitt has struggled lately against Big Ten teams, losing five of its last six games against teams from that conference. The only win in that span came in 2008 at home when they beat Iowa 21-20.
4. Each of Pitt?s last five games against Big Ten teams has been decided by four points or fewer.
5. Pitt is the most played opponent in Penn State?s rich history. The teams first met all the way back in 1893. The teams are separated by a total of 139 miles.