BTN.com staff, September 5, 2016
The Big Ten office released its Week 1 superlatives Monday morning, and the list includes a trio of first-time honorees.
In fact, Ohio State quarterback J.T. Barrett, he of a program-tying six touchdown passes and a program-record seven scores accounted for vs. Bowling Green, is the only previous recipient.
See all of the Week 1 honorees below.
Offensive Player of the Week: J.T. Barrett, Ohio State, Jr., QB
- Accounted for a school-record seven touchdowns in Ohio State?s victory over Bowling Green to improve to 16-2 as a starter
- Completed 21 of 31 passes for 349 yards and six touchdowns, setting a personal best for passing yards and matching his career high for touchdown tosses
- Added one rushing touchdown to finish with 379 total yards of offense
- Claims the fifth Offensive Player of the Week award of his career and first since Oct. 26, 2015
- Last Ohio State Offensive Player of the Week: Ezekiel Elliott (Nov. 30, 2015)
Defensive Player of the Week: Mike McCray, Michigan, Sr., LB
- Led the Wolverines with nine total tackles, including six solo stops, as Michigan defeated Hawaii
- Recorded 3.5 tackles for loss, including a pair of sacks
- Added a forced fumble in the second quarter
- Earns his first career Defensive Player of the Week honor
- Last Michigan Defensive Player of the Week: Jourdan Lewis (Oct. 12, 2015)
Special Teams Player of the Week: Rafael Gaglianone, Wisconsin, Jr., PK
- Converted a game-winning 47-yard field goal with 3:47 remaining to guide the Badgers to a victory over nationally ranked LSU at Lambeau Field in Green Bay, Wis.
- Finished the game 3-for-3 on field goal attempts, connecting from 30 and 48 yards
- Recorded the fourth game-winning field goal of his career, the most in school history
- Claims his first career Special Teams Player of the Week honor
- Last Wisconsin Special Teams Player of the Week: Drew Meyer (Nov. 30, 2015)
Freshman of the Week: Anthony Nelson, Iowa, DE
- Recorded six total tackles, including 2.5 sacks, as the Hawkeyes defeated Miami (Ohio)
- Forced two fumbles, including one in the first quarter that led to a touchdown two plays later
- Added one pass breakup as Iowa won its eighth straight home game
- Wins his first career weekly award
- Last Iowa Freshman of the Week: Parker Hesse (Nov. 30, 2015)