Harold Shelton III, BTN Studio Researcher, September 1, 2016
Before Indiana kicks off what it hopes will be a second consecutive bowl season tonight at Florida International, BTN researcher Harold Shelton III shares 10 facts to know about the Hoosiers.
See all 10 facts below.
1. Entering his sixth season in Bloomington, Indiana, Kevin Wilson is the Big Ten's fourth-longest tenured coach, behind Iowa's Kirk Ferentz (1999), Northwestern's Pat Fitzgerald (2006) and Michigan State's Mark Dantonio (2007).
2. Indiana has won 12 of its last 13 season openers, the only loss coming to Ball State in 2011.
3. The last time Indiana played a true road game in its season opener was in 2005, when it won at Central Michigan.
4. In last season's game vs. Florida International, Indiana scored the final 17 points to rally for a 36-22 victory at Memorial Stadium.
5. In Simmie Cobbs, Mitchell Paige and Ricky Jones, Indiana returns a combined 171 receptions, 2,625 yards receiving and 15 receiving touchdowns.
6. Indiana led the Big Ten in scoring offense (36.5) last season for the first time since 1945; it also came in at No. 1 in total yards per game (504.3), passing yards per game (293.8) and first downs per game (25.9).
7. New quarterback Richard Lagow, who replaces school record-holder Nate Sudfeld, amassed 4,506 yards passing, 38 touchdown and 17 interceptions in two seasons at Cisco Community College (Texas).
8. Only Northwestern's Justin Jackson (1,418 yards) and Penn State's Saquon Barkley (1,076) rushed for more yards than Devine Redding (1,012), who backed up then-starter Jordan Howard, in 2015.
9. The Indiana defense has ranked in the bottom two in opponent's scoring among Big Ten teams each season since 2008.
10. Indiana has allowed at least 40 points in 28 of 61 games (46 percent) under Kevin Wilson, eight more than any other Big Ten team (Purdue) during the same span.