BTN.com staff, March 25, 2015
Rosemont, Ill. - The Big Ten Conference on Wednesday recognized a total of 735 winter sports student-athletes who have been named to the Academic All-Conference team.
[ MORE: View the entire list of honorees (PDF) ]
The list of honored student-athletes features 32 men?s and 68 women?s basketball players, 47 men?s and 67 women?s gymnasts, 76 men?s hockey players, 141 men?s and 200 women?s swimmers and divers and 104 wrestlers.
To be eligible for Academic All-Big Ten selection, student-athletes must be letterwinners who are in at least their second academic year at their institution and carry a cumulative grade-point average of 3.0 or higher.
At least seven of these student-athletes have maintained unblemished cumulative GPAs:
- Kevin Bain, Michigan men's swimming & diving (Sr., Business Administration)
- Stevie Bauer, Purdue women's swimming & diving (So., Animal Sciences)
- Ally Disterhoft, Iowa women's basketball (So., Business)
- Justin Glanda, Michigan men's swimming & diving (Sr., Business Administration)
- Joe Johnson, Michigan State wrestling (Sr., Finance)
- Jessica Plant, Minnesota women's swimming & diving (Sr., Classical Civilization)
- David Zoltowski, Michigan State men's swimming & diving (Sr., Electrical Engineering)
The conference office also awards Academic All-Big Ten distinction in the fall and spring seasons and will present the Distinguished Scholar Award at the end of the academic year. Student-athletes eligible for the Distinguished Scholar Award must be letterwinners in at least their second year in residence at their institution. Qualifying student-athletes must have earned a GPA of 3.7 or higher for the current academic year, excluding summer school. The Big Ten Distinguished Scholar Award was established by conference Faculty Representatives as an addition to the conference?s Academic All-Big Ten program.