Big Ten's biggest Wooden Award preseason watch list snubs
Seven Big Ten stars were named to the Wooden Award Preseason Top 50 watch list, released Monday.
Wisconsin’s Frank Kaminsky, the media’s Preseason Big Ten Player of the Year, headlines the list that also includes teammate Sam Dekker.
See the full list of Big Ten players at the bottom of this post.
Here, I want to consider the biggest Big Ten snubs, the players who could play their way into the race when the list is cut down to 25 in January.
1. D’Angelo Russell, Ohio State. A freshman, sure, but he’s the go-to guy on a contender.
2. Denzel Valentine, Michigan State. Stat-sheet stuffer is primed for big breakout.
3. A.J. Hammons, Purdue. Is this the year he puts it all together and lives up to the hype?
4. D.J. Newbill, Penn State. The across-the-board stats are a certainty; team success is not.
5. Aaron White, Iowa. If he becomes more assertive, he’ll have a great season.
6. Andre Hollins, Minnesota. Last year’s ankle injury limited one of the B1G’s top scorers.
7. Travis Trice, Michigan State. No longer a role player, Trice is going to surprise.
8. James Blackmon Jr., Indiana. He and Yogi Ferrell give Indiana a terrific one-two punch.
9. Rayvonte Rice, Illinois. Numbers may drop as a result of new talent; efficiency will rise.
10. Shavon Shields, Nebraska. If he stays healthy, he’s a sure All-Big Ten honoree.
Big Ten players on the Wooden list
Yogi Ferrell, Indiana
Dez Wells, Maryland
Caris LeVert, Michigan
Branden Dawson, Michigan State
Terran Petteway, Nebraska
Sam Dekker, Wisconsin
Frank Kaminsky, Wisconsin