BTN.com staff, June 6, 2012
That's more like what Iowa fans were thinking when the men's basketball team hired Fran McCaffery to replace Todd Lickliter. After a disappointing 11-20 first season under the former Siena coach, Iowa surprised many with its 18-17 encore — a season highlighted by upset victories over ranked Wisconsin, twice, then-No. 13 Michigan and then-No. 18 Indiana on its way to capturing an NIT berth. It might not sound like much, but this is a program that went 38-58 since 2007-08 and hadn't sniffed the postseason. And now, it's thinking bigger things. Like the NCAA tourney.
Catch Iowa Day on BTN all day Wednesday. View our programming schedule for the list of shows, games and features to be shown on each Iowa Day. Future Iowa Days include: June 28 and July 19.
Other Iowa highlights from the 2011-12 athletic year:
- Field hockey earned its conference-leading 21st NCAA tournament berth after finishing in a three-way tie for second in the Big Ten.
- Football beat Michigan, 24-16, to record its first three-game winning streak over the Wolverines.
- Women's basketball made its fifth consecutive NCAA tournament.
- Junior wrestler Matt McDonough claimed the NCAA title in the 125-pound weight class.
- Swimmer Becky Stoughton won Freshman of the Year.
- Riley Reiff was selected with the 23rd pick of the 2012 NFL Draft, marking the third straight year a Hawkeye was taken in the first round.
Shows/games to be featured on Iowa Day:
BTN Football Game of the Week: Pittsburgh at Iowa – 2011
Big Ten Football Replay: 2010 Insight Bowl – Iowa vs. Missouri
The Big Ten's Greatest Games – Football: 2005 Capital One Bowl – Iowa vs. LSU
The Big Ten's Greatest Games – Football: Michigan at Iowa – 2003
Big Ten Men's Basketball 2011-12: Iowa at Wisconsin
Big Ten Icons: Nile Kinnick
Big Ten Icons: Dan Gable
2009 Big Ten Wrestling Championships
[View our programming schedule for the official list of shows on each Iowa Day]