staff, September 10, 2011

Minnesota head football coach Jerry Kill suffered a seizure Saturday on the sideline at TCF Bank Stadium. The first-year coach is in stable condition and is expected to be OK, according to the Minnesota medical staff. Kill, who has a history with seizures, went to the turf with 20 seconds remaining in Minnesota's 28-21 defeat against New Mexico State. The training staff immediately attended to him and play was halted. About 15 minutes later, Kill was put on a stretcher and left the field to chants of "Jerry! Jerry!" Watch now as BTN host Dave Revsine offers the latest updates on the Minnesota coach.

In 2006, a seizure forced Kill to miss a week while at Eastern Illinois.

Here's the latest news from

"University of Minnesota head football coach Jerry Kill suffered what Gophers team doctor Pat Smith described as a reoccurrence of a seizure disorder with 20 seconds remaining in Gophers' 28-21 loss to New Mexico State Saturday at TCF Bank Stadium.

Kill was immediately attended to by medical personnel. Dr. Smith said his vital signs were normal as he was cared for on the field.  He was then transported by ambulance to a local hospital for further observation.

"Coach Kill has a history of seizures, which has been well controlled through medications," Dr. Smith said during a postgame news briefing. "There is a history of trouble with dehydration and heat seems to kick that up. It was very hot and humid today.

"We were able to give him medications to sedate him," Smith continued. "He was breathing, his vital signs were absolutely normal and responded typical of someone responding to a seizure."

Dr. Smith provided University officials with a further update early in the evening following the game and said that Kill was stable and awake, but medicated. He said that Kill was improving and talking with his wife Rebecca, but would undergo further testing as a precaution.

According to Dr. Smith, Kill is expected to recover fully, but said that it was too early to give a timetable for his return to the team.

To respect Kill's privacy during his recuperation, the name of the hospital where he is receiving care will not be released.

University officials said that they do not anticipate further information on Coach Kill's condition being available Saturday night, but are hopeful about being able to provide an update on Sunday."