Player of the Year Tracker: It's Stauskas on top
There’s a different name atop my Big Ten Player of the Year Tracker for the third time in as many weeks. Entering the final week of the regular season, it’s Michigan’s Nik Stauskas coming in at No. 1, a spot held by Nebraska’s Terran Petteway and Iowa’s Devyn Marble the previous two weeks. Agree? Feel free to tweet your nominee my way, @BTNBrentYarina.
1. Nik Stauskas, Michigan – 48%, 17.1 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 3.5 apg. Stauskas put up a Stuaskas-like line of 21 points, three rebounds and four assists to help lead Michigan past Minnesota and to a share of its second Big Ten crown in three years. In a pair of wins last week, he averaged 18 points and 3.5 assists.
Last week: No. 2
2. Devyn Marble, Iowa – 41%, 16.6 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 3.2 apg, 1.8 spg. The consistent Marble is saving some of his best individual play for the stretch run. In a rare three-game week, the Iowa senior shot 51 percent, eclipsed the 20-point barrier thrice and averaged 5.3 assists and 2.3 steals. Not to be ignored, Marble also had a pair of turnover-less games.
Last week: No. 3
3. Terran Petteway, Nebraska – 43%, 17.9 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 1.7 apg, 0.9 spg, 0.8 blk. Petteway compiled, arguably, his worst back-to-back efforts of the season last week. The sophomore transfer shot just 27 percent from the field (8-30) and averaged 11.5 points – mostly the result of the high shot volume – two rebounds and three turnovers in the 1-1 week. The good news: Petteway did average 2.5 assists and two blocks.
Last week: No. 1
4. Gary Harris, Michigan State – 42%, 17.9 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 2.7 apg, 2.0 spg. The Spartans, believe it or not, have lost three of their last four. Don’t blame the super sophomore, though, who is averaging 20.8 points, four rebounds, three assists and 2.3 steals during the team’s funk. Now, is there enough time for this team to figure it all out?
Last week: No. 4
5. Yogi Ferrell, Indiana – 42%, 17.7 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 3.8 apg 0.8 spg. What a week for Ferrell and the Hoosiers, who topped No. 19 Iowa and No. 20 Ohio State at home to highlight a 2-1 week. Don’t count the Hoosiers out of the postseason just yet. As for Ferrell, he continued to do what he does – averaging 17.3 points and 3.3 3-pointers in one of the most competitive weeks in recent Indiana history.
Last week: No. 5
Others considered: Aaron White, Iowa; Caris LeVert, Michigan; D.J. Newbill, Penn State; Sam Dekker, Wisconsin; Frank Kaminsky, Wisconsin.
|About Brent Yarina||BTN.com senior editor Brent Yarina covers football and men’s basketball for BTN.com. He writes the popular uniform feature “Clothes Call,” which also focuses on the latest cosmetic changes across Big Ten arenas and stadiums. Read all of his work here. You can subscribe to Yarina’s RSS feed and follow him on Twitter @BTNBrentYarina.|