Another week is in the books, and that means it’s time for my latest Big Ten Player of the Year Tracker. For the second consecutive week Iowa’s Devyn Marble tops the list. Nebraska’s Terran Petteway, however, is breathing down Marble’s neck. Agree? Feel free to enter your thoughts in the comment box at the bottom of the post.
1. Devyn Marble, Iowa – 41%, 16.4 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 2.9 apg, 1.9 spg. The sign of a great player is being able to produce and impact the game when you don’t have your shot. Against Penn State, Marble scored 15 points despite making two shots and added two steals, his third multi-steal game in the last four games.
Last week: No. 1
2. Terran Petteway, Nebraska – 44%, 17.4 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 1.6 apg, 1 spg, 0.7 blk. Petteway poured in a game-high 23 points in Nebraska’s stunning upset at No. 9 Michigan State. The sophomore sensation hit several clutch shots, including a trio of off-balance treys.
Last week: No. 3
3. Gary Harris, Michigan State – 41%, 17.4 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 2.7 apg, 2.0 spg. Harris continues to impact the game on both ends, but he’d be more effective if he opted to drive instead of hoisting up so many 3-pointers. The sophomore is attempting nearly seven 3s over the last six games, making just 10-of-41 (24 percent).
Last week: No. 2
4. Nik Stauskas, Michigan – 48%, 16.9 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 3.5 apg. It’s almost impossible to believe, but Stauskas hasn’t hit more than four shots in a game the last five times out; in fact, he’s averaged 2.6 field goals and 10.2 points during the funk.
Last week: No. 4
5. Yogi Ferrell, Indiana – 43%, 17.9 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 3.9 apg. Sometimes, it seems, it’s Ferrell or nothing for struggling Indiana. The point guard averaged 21.5 points in two losses this past week, however his assist total continues to sit under four because he doesn’t have reliable scorers around him.
Last week: No. 5
Others considered: Aaron White, Iowa; Adreian Payne, Michigan State; Aaron Craft, Ohio State; Tim Frazier, Penn State; Sam Dekker, Wisconsin.
|About Brent Yarina||BTN.com senior editor Brent Yarina covers football and men’s basketball for BTN.com. He writes the popular uniform feature “Clothes Call,” which also focuses on the latest cosmetic changes across Big Ten arenas and stadiums. Read all of his work here. You can subscribe to Yarina’s RSS feed and follow him on Twitter @BTNBrentYarina.|