CHICAGO – How often do some of the best players from all 12 Big Ten teams gather under one roof? Once a year, at the annual Big Ten media days. To take advantage of the opportunity, I conducted a Big Ten poll Thursday that asked one player from every team the same five questions. Who’s the most exciting Big Ten player? What’s the toughest Big Ten road venue? See all the results in this post.
[ RELATED: Clothes Call: 2013 Big Ten media days edition ]
Editor’s note: Player responses were anonymous to ensure honest answers and avoid hurt feelings or any kind of backlash. Players could not use their teammates/stadium/coach/uniform in answers.
MOST EXCITING B1G PLAYER?
8: Braxton Miller, QB, Ohio State
1: Shane Wynn, WR, Indiana; Ameer Abdullah, RB, Nebraska; Taylor Martinez, QB, Nebraska; Kain Colter, QB, Northwestern
What they said about Miller:
- “At any moment, he can make a play, whether it’s with his feet or his arm. He’s someone you always have to worry about.”
- “He can do a lot of things with his feet and makes defenders look pretty stupid.”
- “He’s a guy who makes great plays, changes the game, and is so fun to watch.”
- “Great player. He’s dynamic. The way he moves at his size, it’s great.”
TOUGHEST B1G VENUE?
4: Beaver Stadium
2: Kinnick Stadium; Ohio Stadium
1: Spartan Stadium; Memorial Stadium (Nebraska); Ross-Ade Stadium; Camp Randall Stadium
What they said about Beaver Stadium:
- “When they have that White Out, it feels like it’s you against the world. It’s so hard to hear there.”
- “Just the noise. It’s such a tall stadium, it’s really intimidating.”
- “I’ve never heard a stadium that loud.”
- “That’s probably the loudest stadium I’ve played in.”
[ RELATED: View all of BTN.com's Big Ten media day coverage ]
COACH YOU’D LIKE TO PLAY FOR?
5: Pat Fitzgerald, Northwestern
3: Urban Meyer, Ohio State
2: Mark Dantonio, Michigan State
1: Brady Hoke, Michigan; Jerry Kill, Minnesota
What they said about Fitzgerald:
- “You can tell he loves what he does, and players love to play for him. He has a lot of fun out there.”
- “He seems like a cool guy. As far as seeing him on TV and from what I hear about him, he sounds like a great guy.”
FAVORITE B1G UNIFORM?
4: Penn State
2: Michigan State; Ohio State
1: Illinois; Iowa; Michigan; Nebraska
What they said about Penn State’s uniform:
- “Nothing against the Oregons and stuff like that, but there’s nothing like a traditional, classic college football jersey like Penn State’s.”
- “I’m a sucker for nostalgia. I like simplicity. Something clean about the all-white. I just like the formality.”
WOULD YOU LET YOUR KID PLAY FOOTBALL?
What they said:
- “I wouldn’t prevent them from doing it, but I certainly wouldn’t push them either.”
- “That’s something to think about, but if it gives him a chance to go to college for free, then definitely.”
- “I will if we make it safer, if there are less head injuries in the future, to where we don’t see people suffering serious injuries.”
- “Only if he was a kicker.”
Here’s a Vine video of every team at its autograph table:
|About Brent Yarina||BTN.com web editor Brent Yarina covers football and men’s basketball for BTN.com. He writes the popular uniform feature “Clothes Call,” which also focuses on the latest cosmetic changes across Big Ten arenas and stadiums. Read all of his work here. You can subscribe to Yarina’s RSS feed and follow him on Twitter @BTNBrentYarina.|