Big Ten Power Rankings: Maryland Terrapins rise in post-Week 1 poll
Nothing changes near the top of my Big Ten Power Rankings, presented by ArcelorMittal. But Maryland is upwardly mobile after that eye-popping win at No. 23 Texas.
1. Ohio State (1-0). The passing game needs to amp it up with the Sooners coming to town.
Last week: 1
Up next: Oklahoma
2. Penn State (1-0). Perhaps no Big Ten was more impressive in Week 1. How good can this team be? Scary good.
Last week: 2
Up next: Pitt
3. Wisconsin (1-0). The Badgers made a strong statement in the opener. What team in the West is gonna beat Wisconsin?
Last week: 3
Up next: Florida Atlantic
4. Michigan (1-0). Rebuild? Nope. It appears the Wolverines have reloaded and will be a factor in the East.
Last week: 4
Up next: Cincinnati
5. Northwestern (1-0). It’s difficult to top the 1-2 punch of QB Clayton Thorson and RB Justin Jackson. This is a good squad, despite the early Week 1 struggles.
Last week: 5
Up next: at Duke
6. Maryland (1-0). Was the win at Texas a program-changer? Perhaps. The Terps impressed in every phase of the game.
Last week: 8
Up next: Towson
7. Iowa (1-0). The defense looked very impressive in stuffing Wyoming and its vaunted QB, Josh Allen.
Last week: 7
Up next: at Iowa State
8. Nebraska (1-0). The Huskers came oh-so-close to face-planting vs. Arkansas State. The defense has a lot to improve.
Last week: 6
Up next: at Oregon
9. Michigan State (1-0). Routing Bowling Green was a good first step in erasing the bad memories of 2016. How good is this team? Don’t know.
Last week: 9
Up next: Western Michigan
10. Minnesota (1-0). P.J. Fleck is rowing the boat, but the offense needs to row faster.
Last week: 11
Up next: at Oregon State
11. Indiana (0-1). How will the Hoosiers rebound from that emotional loss to the Buckeyes?
Last week: 10
Up next: at Virginia
12. Purdue (0-1). It will be really interesting to see what happens when the talent catches up to the coaching.
Last week: 12
Up next: Ohio (Friday)
13. Rutgers (0-1). It looks like the Scarlet Knights have a legit QB in Kyle Bolin. That means there is hope.
Last week: 13
Up next: Eastern Michigan
14. Illinois (1-0). It was an ugly win vs. MAC Ball State at home, so the Illini remain in the basement.
Last week: 14
Up next: Western Kentucky