Let's have another look at those NCAA bracket projections
More Big Ten men’s hoops
Here are a few more helpful Big Ten men’s basketball links.
- 17 men’s tournament section
- BTN’s video section
- Big Ten men’s hoops highlights & features
- Big Ten men’s standings
- Big Ten men’s scoreboard & schedules
- Big Ten men’s stat leaders
- Choose your Big Ten school
- Choose your Big Ten sport
- Choose your BTN show
- Watch BTN’s feature profiles
- Watch lots more BTN extras
With the regular season in the books, the Big Ten turns to its conference tourney which begins on Wednesday at Washington, D.C. Some teams will be jockeying to improve their NCAA seed, while others are still fighting for a bid. Here is how Jerry Palm of CBSSports.com has the Big Ten slotted in his most current bracket.
- No. 4 Purdue vs. No. 13 Akron, South
- No. 5 Minnesota vs. No. 12 Nevada, Midwest
- No. 6 Wisconsin vs. No. 11 Kansas State-Wake Forest play-in game, Midwest
- No. 6 Maryland vs. No. 11 Xavier, East
- No. 8 Northwestern vs. No. 9 Oklahoma State, East
- No. 9 Michigan vs. No. 8 Dayton, Midwest
- No. 10 Michigan State vs. No. 7 Virginia Tech, Midwest
It’s debatable as to how much these schools can improve—or hurt–their NCAA seed in the Big Ten tourney. Most probably are locked in to where Palm has them slotted. Best-worst case, a team moves up or down a slot based on its Big Ten tourney performance.
Illinois is among Palm’s “first four out.” The Fighting Illini have gotten hot down the stretch, winning four in a row before closing with a tough loss at Rutgers.
And keep an eye on Iowa, which closed with four wins in a row. A big run in Washington, D.C., maybe could land the Hawkeyes in the Big Dance. For now, Iowa doesn’t appear on Palm’s bracket.
Email Tom Dienhart using the form below.