Akeem Springs, Nate Mason send Minnesota past NJIT, 74-68
More Big Ten men’s hoops
Here are a few more helpful Big Ten men’s basketball links.
- 2017 men’s tournament section
- BTN’s video section
- Big Ten men’s hoops highlights & features
- Big Ten men’s standings
- Big Ten men’s scoreboard & schedules
- Big Ten men’s stat leaders
- Choose your Big Ten school
- Choose your Big Ten sport
- Choose your BTN show
- Watch BTN’s feature profiles
- Watch lots more BTN extras
(AP) Akeem Springs came off the bench to score 19 points and Nate Mason added 18 for Minnesota, which came from behind in the second half and escaped with a 74-68 victory against NJIT on Tuesday night.
Springs and Mason each hit four 3-pointers as Minnesota was 9 of 21 from beyond the arc. Freshman Amir Coffey added 13 points and eight rebounds for the Gophers (8-1), who have equaled their win total from last season.
A back-and-forth affair saw 13 lead changes, but NJIT never led by more than three points before Minnesota used a 7-0 run to take a 65-61 lead.
Rob Ukawuba led the Highlanders (5-5) with 18 points. Damon Lynn had 12 points but shot 5 of 24 from the field. NJIT committed just seven turnovers but shot 34.2 percent from the field and was 8 of 32 from 3.