Big Ten players 'on the spot' in Saturday's Week 1 matchups
TOM'S TAKE - BTN.com's Tom Dienhart points out three players on the spot in Week 1.
The Big Ten got off to a hot start on Thursday night as Minnesota and Rutgers both notched impressive wins. Michigan State takes on Jacksonville State tonight at 7:30 p.m. ET, and then a bevy of much-anticipated matchups are coming your way on Saturday.
BTN.com web editor Sean Merriman sat down with senior writer Tom Dienhart and asked him to pick out three Big Ten players who are on the spot in Week 1.
Get our latest Week 1 coverage:
- Big Ten writers: What was the biggest surprise in Week 1?
- What did Tom Dienhart learn about Big Ten in Week 1? Find out here!
- Tom’s Take: Week 1 Big Ten honors, grades, stock reports & numbers
- No. 1 Ohio State sends loud message: Catch us if you can
- Gallery: See our favorite Ohio State-Virginia Tech photos
Here’s a snippet of what Dienhart said about his three players:
1. Ohio State QB J.T. Barrett.
The Buckeye coaching staff has to keep things simple for Barrett. They can’t ask him to do too much. The playbook is going to be paired down and Barrett has to do his part, too. He can’t make mistakes and he can’t turn the ball over.
2. Michigan OT Mason Cole.
What makes this intriguing is that this kid is a true freshman. Even more intriguing is that Michigan has never started a true freshman at left offensive tackle. That gives you an idea of the talent that Cole has.
3. Wisconsin NT Warren Herring.
Herring and his defensive linemates are really going to be under pressure against LSU, but Herring is the guy I have circled in red, and whoever fills in at nose tackle from time-to-time. They really have to hold the point of attack in the middle of that Wisconsin defensive line.