How did we do? Big Ten title game picks revisited

The regular season is over, the Big Ten title game is in the books, and now it’s time for bowl season (view bowl schedule). Before we offer our bowl predictions, though, it’s time to find out how BTN.com fans, Tom Dienhart and yours truly did with our title game picks. Let’s just say no saw what was coming in Indy.

We all picked Nebraska, the Legends Division champ. Nearly 80 percent of the fans went with the Huskers, in fact, and you know the Wisconsin faithful accounted for a significant portion of the votes.

With everybody misfiring on the title game, there are no changes to the season standings as we enter the seven-game bowl season.

SEASON RECORDS
BTN.com fans: 75-22; .773
Tom: 73-24; .753
Brent: 69-28; .711

Wisconsin 70, Nebraska 31
Tom’s pick: Nebraska, 35-33 – Like last year’s game, this figures to be a back-and-forth affair. Each team will be able to run the football. The difference will be the quarterbacks. Taylor Martinez will make more plays than Curt Phillips, whose lack of big-game experience will shine through.
Brent’s pick: Nebraska, 31-20Simply put, Nebraska’s offense boasts too many playmakers, from Taylor Martinez to one of the conference’s deepest collections of running backs and wide receivers. Plus, its defense isn’t too shabby, either.

Doug on 12/3/2012 @ 3:48pm EST Said:

Amazingly, Tom’s prediction was better than Brent’s, geez dude what were you thinking?

Brent Yarina, BTN.com on 12/3/2012 @ 4:31pm EST Said:

Doug – Nebraska had great success against Wisconsin’s rushing attack in the first meeting (41 car., 56 yards), and while I knew it wouldn’t duplicate those figures, I thought it would put up a good overall effort, especially going up against an unproven passer in Curt Phillips.

Jonathan on 12/3/2012 @ 5:00pm EST Said:

No one saw it coming? I know I’m not part of the Wisconsin faithful, but I predicted that they would destroy Nebraska

BigRedOne on 12/3/2012 @ 6:23pm EST Said:

thats gotta hurt knowing the fans had better picks then you guys this year. Makes ya think anybody can do your job, just kidding, great insight this year, if it wasnt for your thoughts most fans wouldnt know which way to place there picks.

Brent Yarina, BTN.com on 12/3/2012 @ 7:07pm EST Said:

Ha! Yeah, it was lonely in the cellar. I was done in by Purdue (picked it to upset Notre Dame and Michigan) and an early deficit, which forced me to play catch-up and pick unlikely upsets.

Doug on 12/3/2012 @ 6:38pm EST Said:

yep I think Brent totally missed the “ball” on this one, I predicted a Wis victory, but not quite like this, what a pleasant surprise !

Brent Yarina, BTN.com on 12/3/2012 @ 7:02pm EST Said:

I think there’s confusion here. I didn’t say no one predicted Wisconsin to win, in the sense that not a single living being picked the Badgers. I meant no one among the group of Tom, BTN.com fans (80-20 vote) and myself. All of us misfired. Hope that clears things up.