Who won weekly softball honors?
On Monday, the Big Ten Conference announced its Softball Players of the Week for Feb. 27-March 4. See who took home the honors and check out what they did to earn the distinctions in this post.
Player of the Week: Jenna Mychko, Illinois, So., C/DP, Union, Ill./Huntley
- Drove in eight runs on eight hits, recording at least one base knock in every game, to help the Illini to three wins during the weekend
- Drove in all five Illinois runs and went 3-for-4 from the plate in the first weekend tilt versus Florida Atlantic, before hitting the game-winning home run, the first of her career, in the top of the seventh in the Illini’s second game of the weekend against FAU
- Also had the game winning RBI against UNLV and finished the week batting .444
- Wins her first Big Ten Player of the Week honor
- Last Illinois Player of the Week: Jessica Davis (April 11, 2011)
Pitcher of the Week: Haylie Wagner, Michigan, Fr., LHP, Orange, Calif./El Modena
- Posted an 0.83 ERA in 25.1 innings of work that included wins over top-25 foes UCLA and Auburn
- Finished with three complete games, including two victories, and allowed just three earned runs while striking out 18 against two walks
- Came on in relief against nationally ranked UCLA, throwing 2.2 innings of scoreless ball to earn the win before following up with a complete game shutout against nationally ranked Auburn in which she allowed just four hits.
- Claims her second Big Ten Pitcher of the Week honor of the season and of her career
- Last Michigan Pitcher of the Week: Haylie Wagner (Feb. 20, 2012)
Freshman of the Week: Kaitlyn Richardson, Minnesota, IF, Phoenix, Ariz./Sandra Day O’Connor
- Combined for an OPS of 1.867 while batting .500 (6-of-12) to help the Gophers to four wins at the Georgia Tournament
- Belted solo home runs against Cleveland State and Georgia, while also driving in two runs against Mercer and one against Ohio and Rutgers
- Finished the week with six runs scored and eight walks
- Claims her first Big Ten Freshman of the Week award
- Last Minnesota Freshman of the Week: Madie Eckstrom (Feb. 27, 2012)