Week 8 Big Ten NFL Stats
Offense: Scott Chandler, Buffalo – The Iowa product caught only two passes, but they both went for touchdowns – Buffalo’s only touchdowns – in a 23-0 victory over Washington. Chandler, who finished the day with 35 receiving yards, hadn’t scored since Week 3. He now has six scores on the season. (Watch TD No. 1! And No. 2!).
Defense: Cliff Avril, Detroit – Avril was Tim Tebow’s worst nightmare Sunday afternoon, recording a sack-strip-score for his first career touchdown (Watch the play!), to go along with another sack and a second forced fumble, in Detroit’s 45-10 victory at Denver. The former Purdue standout notched three tackles in the dominating win. Iowa product Chad Greenway tallied 13 tackles and recovered a fumble in Minnesota’s 24-21 win at Carolina.
Special Teams: Steve Weatherford, New York Giants – The ex-Illini punter averaged 46.8 yards on four punts, including a 55-yarder, and pinned Miami inside its 20-yard line three times en route to helping the Giants rally for a 20-17 victory over the winless Dolphins. Former Iowa punter Jason Baker punted four times for an average of 43.5 yards and had three kicks land inside the opponent’s 20.
Have a nominee for Brent’s weekly Big Ten NFL recap? Tweet it to @BTNBrentYarina.
Want more coverage of Big Ten products in the NFL? Check out “The Next Level” at 7 p.m. Tuesday to hear Rick Pizzo, Russ Lande, Brandon Williams and Jon Jansen talk about Big Ten players on the NFL radar. On tonight’s show:
- Interview Ohio State RB Boom Herron, who is shooting up draft boards after two strong games
- Feature on former Illini teammates Martez Wilson and Nate Bussey
- Break down the success of three Iowa rookie defensive lineman – Adrian Clayborn, Christian Ballard, and Karl Klug
- Discuss the plight of a practice squad player in the NFL with Brandon Saine being signed by the Packers
- Analyze Malcolm Jenkins‘ move from college cornerback to NFL safety