Here Come More Greatest Games

We get a lot of feedback on our show “The Big Ten’s Greatest Games” and the fans love it. And we do, too. It’s just fun to see our old Big Ten heroes play in older stadiums in old uniforms. It brings back a lot of memories for Big Ten fans everywhere. And now we’re happy to tell you we have the list of games for the upcoming season.

Here’s the list. We’ll add broadcast dates and times later, although you can always check our BTN TV schedule for the latest listings. We’ll also spotlight each game on BTN.com the day the show debuts, possibly with a video clip or two, too.

1995 Orange Bowl – Nebraska vs. Miami
Led by Quarterback Tommie Frazier the Cornhuskers battled Miami in hopes for their 1st National Championship since 1971. 1/1/1995

1998 Orange Bowl – Nebraska vs. Tennessee
Looking for their 3rd National Championship in 4 years & in Tom Osborne’s final game as Nebraska’s head coach the Huskers took on a high powered Tennessee team led by All-American Peyton Manning. 1/2/1998

2010 Missouri at Nebraska
Nebraska running back Roy Helu Jr. set the Huskers single-game rushing record with 307 yards as Nebraska took on Missouri in their last season as a member of the Big 12. 10/30/2010

2010 Notre Dame at Michigan State
Notre Dame traveled to East Lansing looking to beat Michigan State in consecutive years for the 1st time since 1994. The game would turn out to be one of the most exciting finishes of the entire 2010 NCAA Football Season.  9/18/2010

2010 Illinois at Michigan
Illinois tailback Mikel Leshoure compiled 5 touchdowns in this wild one. The Wolverines and Fighting Illini combined for over 1,200 yards of offense and 130 points. 11/6/2010

2007 Minnesota at Northwestern
Seeking their 1st Big Ten win of the season Minnesota Quarterback Adam Weber connected with wideout Ernie Wheelwright 7 times for 116 yards and 3 touchdowns in Evanston against the Wildcats. 10/13/2007

2009 Iowa at Ohio State
#10 Iowa and #11 Ohio State squared off with the winner earning a trip to the 2010 Rose Bowl. 11/14/2009

2008 Ohio State at Wisconsin
Ohio State Freshman Terrelle Pryor led the Buckeyes in Madison trying to break the Badgers 16-game home winning streak. 10/4/2008

2007 Michigan State at Wisconsin
Badgers tailback P.J. Hill compiled 155 yards and 2 TD on 34 rushes as Wisconsin and MSU fought back and forth in a wild one. 9/29/2007

2008 Michigan at Purdue
In his final year at the helm Purdue head coach Joe Tiller was looking for just his 2nd career win against Michigan and the team’s 1st since 2000. 11/1/2008

2001 Wisconsin at Illinois
In front of a sellout Homecoming crowd Illinois aimed to improve to 6-1 on the season for the 1st time since 1990. 10/20/2001

1999 Notre Dame at Michigan
In their 1999 season opener Tom Brady and the #7 Michigan Wolverines hosted #16 Notre Dame looking for their 3rd win in their last 4 meeting with the Irish. 9/4/1999

2009 Ohio State at Purdue
Purdue wideouts Keith Smith & Aaron Valentin combined for 222 yards & 2 touchdowns on 22 catches as the Boilermakers looked to end a 19-game losing streak against ranked opponents. 10/17/2009

2009 Notre Dame at Michigan
Michigan aimed to improve to 2-0 for the 1st time since 2006 as the Wolverines and Fighting Irish combined for 74 points, the most in series history. 9/12/2009

26 Post Your Comment
tom neises on 9/13/2011 @ 11:35pm EDT Said:

I have to tell you how disappointed I am in your listed greatest games. Too many are so recent; Dig a little will you?? There were some great games in the 70s and 80s that have to be out there somewhere. For instance, how about the 74 game between Nebraska and Wisconsin? That game must be somewhere; ABC televised it; What a perfect year to show it; So, I think more can be done with this; Also, I hope you are doing the film vault again this year; it was a great show; Overall, I love your programming; I just think you can do more with the old classic stuff; You have the resources; Use it.

BTN.com staff on 9/14/2011 @ 10:23am EDT Said:

Tom, thanks. Your point is well taken. We do dig and we have aired older games from those decades before, too. It’s not quite as easy as you make it sound, but we do go back. Did you see our show last year called “The Film Vault” on BTN? We had games and seasons from the 1950s in there. We’ll keep digging.

tom neises on 9/19/2011 @ 10:01pm EDT Said:

Yes I did see the film vault; I made a comment on it; Loved the show. I suspect that it is hard to find older material. I collect; I have things from the 70s/80s; I bet the football offices around the conference can help you find games. When I think of classic Big Ten, I do not think of the 2000s; That just is not classic yet to me. Do what you can; The older the better for the greatest games/film vault ect..

BTN.com staff on 9/20/2011 @ 11:02am EDT Said:

We hear you, although you might be surprised to hear the number of requests we do get for games in the 20s. But we’re doing all of those things you note. It just takes a little time.

Josh Peter on 10/5/2011 @ 10:00pm EDT Said:

i think you guys should air the 1985 michigan at iowa game.

Mark N on 11/1/2011 @ 12:33pm EDT Said:

I echo the sentiments of the poster who said these games are too recent.

Please, please, please try to get your hands on the 1974 Michigan State/Ohio State game, one of the greatest games in Big Ten history (if not college football history). There is someone who recently posted the final 26 minutes of the original ABC broadcast on YouTube. BTN should look into acquiring the footage from either this YouTube poster or ABC.

Mark N. on 11/1/2011 @ 12:39pm EDT Said:

Let me add that, despite my quibble, I LOVE the Greatest Games broadcasts and watch them every chance I get.

Tom Dienhart, BTN.com Senior Writer on 11/2/2011 @ 10:24pm EDT Said:

I love them, too. I am a big fan of nostalgia and looking back. I also like the BTN lists shows, covering stuff like top quarterbacks, rivalries, running backs, etc. Always good for debate.

Pat M on 11/23/2011 @ 4:25pm EDT Said:

Michigans State beat #1 ranked Ohio State in 1974 and is on utube.
anyway of getting that game on Greatest Games ? it was incredible finish.

BTN.com staff on 11/24/2011 @ 11:33am EDT Said:

We get many requests but that was a great one. We’ll add it to the list of candidates. Thanks for the note.

Mike on 12/18/2011 @ 8:34pm EDT Said:

I concur on the 1974 Nebraska at Wisconsin. Would love to see that again!

Gary Cromwell on 2/10/2012 @ 1:26pm EDT Said:

How about the 4 OT game between Illinois and Michigan on 1/28/84?

Thanks

tom on 2/15/2012 @ 7:46pm EDT Said:

Again, I see little effort to find older games; Disappointing; Now I cannot find one of my favorite shows; Greatest Seasons; what happened to that? Why not some old football season hilite films? Put those grad assistants to work that are in football offices; I just think you guys could be so much better with the classic games; I want some bill fleming narrations and games. And, why does Time Warner digital cable not have Nebraska on the BTN channel of archieved programming? I love the BTN; I just wish you folks would do more in this area.

Ryan on 4/3/2012 @ 5:17am EDT Said:

I would really like to see the 2007 Michigan State – Penn State game included into the greatest games series. MSU’s second half comeback was fun to watch.

Pete Bruhn on 5/28/2012 @ 11:26am EDT Said:

Any chance for the 1962 season on Big Ten Film Vault? This is the 50th year anniversary. Also, the 1963 Rose Bowl (Wis vs USC) as a suggestion for Greatest Games Show. Thanks, and keep up the good work.

BTN.com staff on 5/28/2012 @ 12:08pm EDT Said:

Pete, can’t say offhand but I’ll pass it on to the team that pulls these for Greatest Games. We’re exploring some other ideas like this. We know they’re popular.

Thomas W. on 6/10/2012 @ 8:54pm EDT Said:

I would like to see the 2005 Alamo Bowl between Nebraska and Michigan!! That was a fantastic finish!!! I was at that game !!!!!

Thomas on 8/10/2012 @ 9:01pm EDT Said:

i agree that the 1985 #1 iowa Vs. #2 Michigan game would be a great game to put on. please try and get that one

Ken on 10/24/2012 @ 5:00pm EDT Said:

How about Illinois @ Ohio State, 11/9/80. OSU won 49-42. Illinois QB, Dave Wilson passed for 625 yds (NCAA Record).

Josh peter on 10/24/2012 @ 9:12pm EDT Said:

Didn’t Geno Smith just break that not to long ago?

Terry England on 11/5/2012 @ 12:17pm EDT Said:

how about penn st nebraska 1982. penn st. went on to win a championship on a bad call. This would be a good week for a replay.

Dennis Strawser on 1/30/2013 @ 1:35am EDT Said:

how about the hall of fame bowl, between michigan and alabama, and michigan won it on the last play of the game in 1988.

jay sweet on 8/21/2013 @ 3:43pm EDT Said:

I feel like I´m not alone in wanting access to the vast library of full games(football&basketball)that you now possess.We want to be able to call up any game on an ´on-demand´ basis.The ´classic´games & the ´greatest´games sites are stagnant at this point.I´ve posted this as a question several times since May and still no answer.I love BTN for the most part,but I feel you have a ways to go to satisfy on-line viewing.Not impressed with video.btn as yet,either.I don´t have a problem paying for a subscription,but I´m not sold on the content.

Mark N. on 1/2/2014 @ 9:05am EDT Said:

Hi BTN, Thanks a MILLION for airing the 1988 Rose Bowl. I was a sophomore at MSU that season, and it was a thrill to be able to finally see a replay of that great game. Bobby McAllister’s jump pass to Andre Rison was just as exciting as I remembered it.

Now I’m looking forward to a replay of the 2014 Rose Bowl!

jsweet49 on 1/6/2014 @ 1:10pm EDT Said:

Keep the archival games coming.The available library is very stagnant.Surely you have volumes of games on tap.As it is,I don’t spend much time on your site any more because I’ve seen all the games more than once.I’m an Iowa fan and it looks to me like you cater to Ohio State ,Mich.,Mich.ST.Neb. and Penn ST. I know what’s going to happen from here.You”ll tell me you try to treat all Big 10 teams equally and you’ll send this query to another place that handles this type of content,but they NEVER respond.And,LIve Chat is a joke-nobody is ever home there.Just please open up your archival library and many of us will be happy for that,at least.

jay sweet on 1/2/2014 @ 6:07pm EDT Said:

why do the games available even have to be “greatest” games or “classic” games?What’s the matter with making a complete library of games,old and new available to view?I appreciate the list available.But,let’s be honest,the list of full games is stagnant.