Tom Dienhart, BTN.com Senior Writer, September 25, 2016
Wisconsin?s big win at Michigan State has shaken up my latest Big Ten Power Rankings, presented by ArcelorMittal.
Things don't get any easier for the surging Badgers, though, as their October schedule looks like this: at Michigan; vs. Ohio State; at Iowa; vs. Nebraska.
See my latest list below:
1. Ohio State (3-0, 0-0). The Buckeyes were off, fine-tuning a program that is humming along. Can this team be beaten?
Last week: 1
Up next: vs. Rutgers
3. Michigan (4-0, 1-0). The Wolverines have scored 45 or more points in all four games this season, which is amazing. Next week?s visit from Wisconsin and its stout defense promises tougher sledding.
Last week: 3
Up next: vs. Wisconsin
4. Nebraska (4-0, 1-0). Tommy Armstrong is looking like the Big Ten Player of the Year, so far. He?s like a one-man gang.
Last week: 4
Up next: vs. Illinois
5. Iowa (3-1, 1-0). It wasn?t pretty, but it was a win at Rutgers. And that?s all the Hawkeyes wanted after losing to North Dakota State.
Last week: 6
Up next: vs. Northwestern
6. Michigan State (2-1, 0-1). The Spartans got punched in the nose by Wisconsin en route to a 30-6 home loss. How will Michigan State respond?
Last week: 2
Up next: at Indiana
7. Minnesota (3-0, 0-0). The Golden Gophers will enter conference play unbeaten. Are we overlooking this team? The trip to Penn State is big.
Last week: 7
Up next: at Penn State
8. Maryland (3-0, 0-0). The Terrapins had last week off, reflecting on a 3-0 start. Maryland still has not committed a turnover. Purdue visits next.
Last week: 10
Up next: vs. Purdue
9. Penn State (2-2, 0-1). A depleted Nittany Lion squad gets to play its next three games at home, beginning with Minnesota.
Last week: 8
Up next: vs. Minnesota
10. Indiana (2-1, 0-0). The Hoosiers fell from the ranks of the unbeaten with a home loss to Wake Forest. How good is Indiana?
Last week: 9
Up next: vs. Michigan State
11. Rutgers (2-2, 0-1). The defense played well vs. Iowa. But the offense struggled. Compounding matters is an injury to Janarion Grant. Let?s hope he?s back soon.
Last week: 11
Up next: at Ohio State
12. Northwestern (1-3, 0-1). The Wildcats showed some improvement but still fell to 1-3 with a home loss to Nebraska. Road games at Iowa and at Michigan State are next.
Last week: 12
Up next: at Iowa
13. Purdue (2-1, 0-0). The Boilermakers had four turnovers but still got a much-needed win. The play of the defense was especially encouraging for Darrell Hazell and Co.
Last week: 14
Up next: at Maryland
14. Illinois (1-2, 0-0). The Fighting Illini are still licking their wounds after a 1-2 start. Let?s hope the bye week helps Lovie Smith and Co., find answers to questions.
Last week: 13
Up next: at Nebraska