Big Ten Power Rankings: 4-1 Michigan takes over No. 2 spot
With the first week of full-on Big Ten play behind us, there is quite a bit of change in my latest power rankings, presented by ArcelorMittal.
[ MORE: Week 5 scoreboard | Big Ten standings | Big Ten stats | Latest polls | Power Rankings | Bowl Projections | Best of Week 5 | Week 5 picks revisited | Week 5 uniforms | What Tom Dienhart learned | Week 5 top performers | Gerry DiNardo’s tweets | Dienhart: Wildcats can dream big | John Harbaugh visits Michigan sideline ]
Check out my latest poll below:
1. Ohio State (5-0, 1-0). At what point do fans go from being nervously restless to breaking into a hair-pulling panic? Five weeks into the season, and nothing seems to be changing. Is this 2015 reality?
Last week: 1
Up next: vs. Maryland (Watch on BTN2Go!)
2. Michigan (4-1, 1-0). Has any team been more impressive? Be honest, Brutus. You, too, Sparty. The Wolverines’ only loss was to a top-10 squad on the road by a TD. Michigan has outscored its last four foes, 122-14, including back-to-back shutouts.
Last week: 5
Up next: vs. Northwestern (Watch on BTN2Go!)
|POWER RANKINGS PRESENTED BY|
T-4. Iowa (5-0, 1-0). With each passing week, you get the feeling this may be a special season. There still is room on the bandwagon. It’s OK.
Last week: 3
Up next: vs. Illinois
T-4. Northwestern (5-0, 1-0). Hard to believe this is the same school that went an aggregate 10-14 the last two seasons—6-14 in the last 20 games entering 2015. NU is legit.
Last week: 4
Up next: at Michigan (Watch on BTN2Go!)
6. Illinois (4-1, 1-0). You say you wanna call that triumph vs. Nebraska a “signature” win? OK by me. It also will look good on Bill Cubit’s application for full-time employment in Champaign.
Last week: 11
Up next: at Iowa
7. Wisconsin (3-2, 0-1). Those preseason concerns about the offensive line and running game have developed into in-season concerns about the offensive line and running game.
Last week: 6
Up next: at Nebraska
8. Nebraska (2-3, 0-1). They will be talking about that third-down play for … oh … the next 537 years in Lincoln. The entire fandom could do a Pepto-Bismol commercial.
Last week: 8
Up next: vs. Wisconsin
9. Indiana (4-1, 0-1). If ever a loss felt like a win, it was the Hoosiers’ defeat to Ohio State. How will IU handle the woulda-shoulda-coulda loss?
Last week: 9
Up next: at Penn State
10. Minnesota (3-2, 0-1). Let’s file this team under “M.” Not for “Minnesota” … but for “Mess.” Just be happy you don’t have to watch offensive game film from the Northwestern contest.
Last week: 7
Up next: at Purdue
11. Penn State (4-1, 1-0). If there is a flimsier 4-1 team in America, I wanna see it. But, a win is a win, right? Let’s all have a glass of James Franklin’s Kool-Aid.
Last week: 10
Up next: vs. Indiana
14. Purdue (1-4, 0-1). The effort at Michigan State was inspiring. Now comes a visit from beatable Minnesota, which is a must-win for this program. Yes, I did just type that.
Last week: 14
Up next: vs. Minnesota
And if you want to leave a comment on this post, use the box below. All comments need to be approved by a moderator.