Big Ten Power Rankings: Penn State owns top spot in post-Week 2 poll
There is no denying it: Penn State is the No. 1 team in my latest Big Ten Power Rankings, presented by ArcelorMittal. But keep an eye on Wisconsin, assuming it can get some consistent play in the passing game.
Check out my full power poll below.
1. Penn State (2-0). Offense, defense, special teams … it’s all clicking for the Nittany Lions. It’s good to be James Franklin.
Last week: 2
Up next: Georgia State
2. Wisconsin (2-0). The Badgers have a future star in freshman RB Jonathan Taylor. This could be a special season in Madison.
Last week: 3
Up next: at BYU
3. Ohio State (1-1). The lopsided home loss to Oklahoma casts doubt on the season. What is the offensive identity? Is it a good time to panic?
Last week: 1
Up next: Army
4. Michigan (2-0). It took the Wolverines a while to subdue Cincinnati. This defense continues to impress.
Last week: 4
Up next: Air Force
5. Maryland (2-0). No Big Ten has been more impressive in the first two weeks than the Terrapins. Get DJ Durkin a pair of sunglasses.
Last week: 6
Up next: OFF; UCF, Sept. 23
6. Iowa (2-0). My advice to the Hawkeyes: keep getting the ball to Akrum Wadley. Good things happen.
Last week: 7
Up next: North Texas
7. Minnesota (2-0). The Gophers dominated Oregon State in the rain in Corvallis. Thank an opportunistic defense. And it looks like the Gophers have found a QB.
Last week: 10
Up next: Middle Tennessee
8. Michigan State (2-0). The Spartans’ redemption tour continues. Have to like how the defense is playing. And Brian Lewerke is looking good, too.
Last week: 9
Up next: Off; Notre Dame, Sept. 23
9. Indiana (1-1). It looks like the Hoosiers have another option at quarterback in Peyton Ramsey, a nice dual-threat, if Tom Allen so chooses.
Last week: 11
Up next: FIU
10. Purdue (1-1). It looks like the Boilermakers hit the jackpot by hiring Jeff Brohm, who no doubt is maximizing the talent on hand. Kudos.
Last week: 12
Up next: at Missouri
11. Illinois (2-0). Yes, the Fighting Illini are 2-0! Two snaps up! And the defense looks like it has a lot of potential.
Last week: 14
Up next: at South Florida (Friday)
12. Nebraska (1-1). The defense is conjuring memories of those Bill Callahan defenses. And that’s not good.
Last week: 8
Up next: Northern Illinois
13. Northwestern (1-1). Questions persist in Evanston, especially along the offensive line. But know this: NU got off to a slow start last season, too. And things worked out OK.
Last week: 5
Up next: Bowling Green
14. Rutgers (0-2). The Scarlet Knights took a step back with an ugly home loss to … Eastern Michigan? Let’s hope this is the nadir.
Last week: 13
Up next: Morgan State