@BTNStatsGuys: 10 fun Big Ten NCAA tournament nuggets
Now that you’ve had a couple days to consider the NCAA tournament bracket, I figured it was as good time to share 10 fun Big Ten facts about the NCAA tourney.
See them all below.
1. The Big Ten matched its most teams (7) in a single NCAA tournament for the third straight season and the 10th time overall, first doing so in 1990.
2. Northwestern is one of five teams making its NCAA tourney debut, joining North Dakota, UC Davis, Northern Kentucky, and Jacksonville State.
3. Michigan State, which has lost its last two March Madness games, has never lost three straight NCAA tourney games.
4. Only Kentucky (20) has more NCAA tourney wins than Wisconsin (15, tied for second) since 2011.
5. Wisconsin is the only school to make the Sweet 16 the last three seasons AND five of the last six seasons.
6. No. 7 Michigan is the lowest seed for a Big Ten tourney champion since Iowa also received a No. 7 in 2007.
7. The Michigan-Oklahoma State opening-round game will feature two of the nation’s top 5 teams in offensive efficiency, as the Cowboys lead the way (124.8) and the Wolverines are fifth (121.6).
8. Maryland’s 12 consecutive NCAA tournaments with at least one victory is second only to North Carolina’s 14.
9. Minnesota is the only Big Ten team with a winning record (7-5) vs. the RPI top 50, and its seven wins also pace the conference.
10. Before losing its NCAA openers the last two seasons, both in overtime, Purdue had won at least one game in its previous 14 tourneys.