Caleb Swanigan, Amir Coffey claim weekly Big Ten honors
The Big Ten office released its weekly men’s basketball award winners Monday, and it’s a pair of familiar names earning recognition.
Purdue star Caleb Swanigan is player of the week for the fourth time this season, while Minnesota’s Amir Coffey claims his second freshman laurels.
Read more about both honorees, plus watch select video highlights, below.
Player of the Week: Caleb Swanigan, Purdue, F – So. – 6-9
- Posted a pair of double-doubles in leading the Boilermakers to a one-point road win at Ohio State and a victory over nationally-ranked Wisconsin at Mackey Arena
- For the week, shot 50.0 percent (11-of-22) from the field, 60.0 percent (3-of-5) from three-point range and 81.8 percent (9-of-11) from the free throw line
- Scored 16 points, including a 7-of-9 effort from the free throw line, and pulled down 11 rebounds at Ohio State
- Scored 18 points on 7-of-10 shooting, including a 2-for-2 effort from three-point range, corralled 13 rebounds and recorded a pair of blocks against the Badgers
- Has posted eight consecutive double-doubles, the fourth-longest streak in Purdue history
- In conference games only, currently leads the Big Ten with 14.0 rebounds per contest
- Earns his fourth Big Ten Player of the Week honor
- Last Purdue Player of the Week: Caleb Swanigan (Dec. 26, 2016)
Freshman of the Week: Amir Coffey, Minnesota, G – 6-8
- Averaged 18.0 points, 4.0 assists and 4.0 rebounds per game in lifting the Golden Gophers to a road win at Northwestern and home victory against Ohio State
- For the week, shot 60.9 percent (14-of-23) from the field and 44.4 percent (4-of-9) from three-point range
- Scored 17 points, pulled down four rebounds, handed out three assists and swiped four steals at Northwestern
- Scored 19 points, dished out five assists and corralled four rebounds against the Buckeyes
- Currently averaging 15.3 points and 3.5 assists per game in conference play
- Earns his second Freshman of the Week honor
- Last Minnesota Freshman of the Week: Amir Coffey (Nov. 21, 2016)