Big Ten Power Rankings: Top 5 remains steady entering final week
More BTN video
Our video section is packed with more Big Ten video than ever before. Dive on in and share it on social media.
Neither Ohio State nor Michigan looked impressive in victory. But each found a way to win, setting up a big showdown next week in Columbus.
Check out my latest Big Ten Power Rankings, presented by ArcelorMittal, below.
1. Ohio State (10-1, 7-1). It wasn’t pretty, but the Buckeyes found a way to escape East Lansing with a win in what was the quintessential trap game.
Last week: 1
Up next: Michigan
2. Michigan (10-1, 7-1). The Wolverines didn’t wow in taking down Indiana behind backup QB John O’Korn. But Michigan is primed to win the East with a victory next week at Ohio State.
Last week: 2
Up next: at Ohio State
3. Wisconsin (9-2, 6-2). The Badgers are continuing their march to the Big Ten West title behind a great defense and strong rushing attack. Beat Minnesota, win the West.
Last week: 3
Up next: Minnesota
4. Penn State (9-2, 7-1). That’s seven wins in a row for the Nittany Lions, who will win the East with a win vs. MSU and a loss by Michigan at Ohio State.
Last week: 4
Up next: Michigan State
5. Nebraska (9-2, 6-2). Even with QB Tommy Armstrong out with injury, the Cornhuskers rolled to an easy win vs. Maryland to keep their West division hopes alive.
Last week: 5
Up next: at Iowa (Friday)
6. Iowa (7-4, 5-3). It was vintage Hawkeyes in a 28-0 win at Illinois, as Iowa used a stifling defense and tough offense to make it two victories in a row.
Last week: 7
Up next: Nebraska (Friday)
7. Minnesota (8-3, 5-3). The Gophers enjoyed one of their most impressive wins of the season in dumping Northwestern. Now can they finally win Paul Bunyan’s Axe?
Last week: 8
Up next: at Wisconsin
8. Northwestern (5-6, 4-4). The Wildcats were unable to run the ball and fell at Minnesota. This team still needs one more win to reach bowl eligibility.
Last week: 6
Up next: Illinois
9. Indiana (5-6, 3-5). The Hoosiers couldn’t generate enough offense to knock off Michigan and still need one more win for bowl eligibility.
Last week: 9
Up next: Purdue
10. Maryland (5-6, 2-6). The Terps are still one win from bowl eligibility coming off a brutal three-game stretch at Michigan, vs. Ohio State and at Nebraska.
Last week: 10
Up next: Rutgers
11. Illinois (3-8, 2-6). The offensive struggles continue for the Fighting Illini, who aren’t getting steady quarterback play and struggle to get a consistent push up front.
Last week: 11
Up next: at Northwestern
12. Michigan State (3-8, 1-7). The Spartans almost pulled off another upset of Ohio State. What if MSU had just opted to try a game-tying extra point instead of going for the lead with a two-point conversion that failed?
Last week: 12
Up next: at Penn State
13. Purdue (3-8, 1-7). The misery continues for the Boilermakers, who are woefully undermanned—especially on defense. The season can’t end soon enough.
Last week: 13
Up next: at Indiana
14. Rutgers (2-9, 0-8). The Scarlet Knights remain the lone Big Ten team without a conference victory, as the wheels have come off the offense.
Last week: 14
Up next: at Maryland