Big Ten Power Rankings: Michigan bolsters case as top team
Michigan continues to hit on all cylinders, as it distances itself from the pack. Can anyone beat the Wolverines?
See my latest Big Ten Power Rankings, presented by ArcelorMittal, below.
1. Michigan (8-0, 5-0). The Wolverines have asserted themselves as the team to beat in the Big Ten.
Last week: 1
Up next: Maryland
2. Ohio State (7-1, 4-1). It wasn’t pretty, but it was a win for the Buckeyes over visiting Northwestern. The offense just isn’t clicking.
Last week: 2
Up next: Nebraska
3. Wisconsin (6-2, 3-2). The defense and running game continue to carry the Badgers. Is playing two QBs eventually gonna blow up on Wisconsin?
Last week: 3
Up next: at Northwestern
4. Nebraska (7-1, 4-1). The Cornhuskers acquitted themselves well in a tough OT loss at Wisconsin. But the offense must do more with a game at Ohio State looming.
Last week: 4
Up next: at Ohio State
5. Penn State (6-2, 4-1). 62 points?! 62 points?! The Nittany Lions are roaring and look poised to finish 10-2.
Last week: 6
Up next: Iowa
6. Northwestern (4-4, 3-2). The three-game winning streak is over, but the Wildcats were impressive in defeat at No. 6 Ohio State.
Last week: 5
Up next: Wisconsin
7. Iowa (5-3, 3-2). The Hawkeyes enjoyed a bye this week. The looming trip to Penn State will be a good test.
Last week: 7
Up next: at Penn State
8. Minnesota (6-2, 3-2). That’s three wins in a row for the Golden Gophers, whose punishing ground game and solid defense keep them in each game.
Last week: 8
Up next: Purdue
9. Indiana (4-4, 2-3). The Hoosiers notched what may have been a must-win vs. Maryland, as their bowl hopes are alive and well.
Last week: 10
Up next: at Rutgers
10. Maryland (5-3, 2-3). Next week’s game at Michigan will be the first vs. a ranked foe this season for the Terrapins.
Last week: 9
Up next: at Michigan
11. Michigan State (2-6, 0-5). Make it five losses in a row for the Spartans, who continue to search for answers on defense and at quarterback.
Last week: 11
Up next: at Illinois
12. Purdue (3-5, 1-4). The latest kick in the gut: 62 points allowed to Penn State, the most ever tallied by an opponent in Ross-Ade Stadium.
Last week: 12
Up next: at Minnesota
13. Illinois (2-6, 1-4). Poor play in the trenches continues to hold back the Fighting Illini from making progress.
Last week: 13
Up next: Michigan State
14. Rutgers (2-6, 0-5). The Scarlet Knights were off. Can they get one Big Ten triumph before the season ends?
Last week: 14
Up next: Indiana