Big Ten Power Rankings: No change among top 4 teams
There is no movement atop my latest Big Ten Power Rankings, presented by ArcelorMittal. But the bottom half had a shake-up, of sorts.
See my latest list below.
1. Ohio State (5-0, 2-0). The Buckeyes rolled on with a big home win vs. Indiana. Up next is a trip to Wisconsin, whose defense will be a big challenge for Ohio State.
Last week: 1
Up next: at Wisconsin
2. Michigan (6-0, 3-0). The Wolverines have opened with six impressive wins, the latest a 78-0 win at Rutgers; now, Michigan has a week off before embarking on the toughest part of its schedule.
Last week: 2
Up next: Idle
3. Nebraska (5-0, 2-0). The Cornhuskers had the week off after jetting to a 5-0 start. Could this be a special season in Lincoln?
Last week: 3
Up next: at Indiana
4. Wisconsin (4-1, 1-1). The Badgers were idle, coming off the tough loss at Michigan. Things don’t get any easier this Saturday with Ohio State coming to Madison.
Last week: 4
Up next: vs. Ohio State
5. Penn State (4-2, 2-1). That’s two wins in a row for the Nittany Lions, whose defense played one of its best games of the season in beating Maryland, 38-14.
Last week: 6
Up next: Idle
6. Iowa (4-2, 2-1). The Hawkeyes may have saved their season with a 14-7 win at Minnesota to take home Floyd of Rosedale.
Last week: 10
Up next: at Purdue
7. Maryland (4-1, 1-1). A week after a 50-7 win vs. Purdue, the Terrapins got handcuffed 38-14 at Penn State for their first loss of the season.
Last week: 5
Up next: vs. Minnesota
8. Indiana (3-2, 1-1). No shame in losing at Ohio State, as the Hoosiers have a lot to play for in search of back-to-back bowls for the first time since 1990-91.
Last week: 7
Up next: vs. Nebraska
9. Minnesota (3-2, 0-2). The Golden Gophers have suffered two losses in a row, as they face an uphill battle to win the Big Ten West. The offense needs to show more life.
Last week: 8
Up next: at Maryland
10. Northwestern (2-3, 1-1). The Wildcats were off last week after a big win at Iowa, giving them more time to prep for struggling Michigan State.
Last week: 9
Up next: at Michigan State
11. Michigan State (2-3, 0-2). The Spartans have lost three in a row for the first time since 2009. And they may have a QB controversy, too.
Last week: 11
Up next: vs. Northwestern
12. Purdue (3-2, 1-1). Let’s hear it for the Boilermakers, who are alive and kicking … and halfway to bowl eligibility.
Last week: 14
Up next: vs. Iowa
13. Illinois (1-4, 0-2). It goes from bad to worse for the Fighting Illini after a home overtime loss to Purdue.
Last week: 12
Up next: at Rutgers
14. Rutgers (2-4, 0-3). The challenging debut for Chris Ash continues with a stupefying 78-0 home loss to Michigan.
Last week: 13
Up next: vs. Illinois