Big Ten Power Rankings: Ohio State remains on top after Week 2
Save for one stunning upset—I’m looking at you, Northwestern—it was business as usual in the Big Ten in Week 2.
More BTN video
Our new video section is packed with more Big Ten video than ever before. Dive on in and share it on social media.
As a result, there isn’t much change in my latest Big Ten Power Rankings, presented by ArcelorMittal.
View my latest list below.
1. Ohio State (2-0). The Buckeyes have outscored their first two opponents 125-13. Enough said. The Week 3 trip to Oklahoma will be telling.
Last week: 1
Up next: at Oklahoma
2. Iowa (2-0). The Hawkeyes rolled over Iowa State, 42-3, as Iowa has as much momentum as any team in the Big Ten. Will this team be an underdog in any game this season? Maybe not.
Last week: 2
Up next: vs. North Dakota State
3. Michigan (2-0). Another week, another cupcake. How good are the Wolverines? Michigan has won its first two games by a combined total of 97 points vs. patsies.
Last week: 3
Up next: vs. Colorado
4. Wisconsin (2-0). Bart Houston looks more confident. But how serious is Corey Clement’s injury? The Badgers need their star workhorse healthy to win the Big Ten West.
Last week: 4
Up next: vs. Georgia State
5. Michigan State (1-0). The Spartans were off, giving Michigan State two weeks to prep for a big game at Notre Dame. Time to impress.
Last week: 5
Up next: at Notre Dame
6. Minnesota (2-0). A 58-point effort was just what the doctor ordered for a Golden Gopher offense that’s still looking for its stride. Bottle this TCF Bank Stadium-record performance.
Last week: 6
Up next: Idle
7. Nebraska (2-0). The Huskers won with the run game last week (292 yards). They used the pass game this week (412 yards). Moral of the story: Nebraska’s offense is good.
Last week: 7
Up next: vs. Oregon
8. Penn State (1-1). Yes, the Nittany Lions lost at Pitt. But the new offense of coordinator Joe Moorhead showed its teeth with 406 yards and 39 points, highlight by four Saquon Barkley scores.
Last week: 8
Up next: vs. Temple
9. Indiana (2-0). The Hoosiers have excelled at creating turnovers, getting three in each game this year. No wonder IU is 2-0 and thinking big.
Last week: 9
Up next: Idle
10. Maryland (2-0). The Terrapins are riding high off two easy opening wins. And the good times may continue to roll with upcoming games at UCF and vs. Purdue.
Last week: 13
Up next: at UCF
11. Rutgers (1-1). Nice rebound from a tough opening loss at Washington, as RU battled back from a 14-0 hole to win 52-14 vs. FCS Howard.
Last week: 11
Up next: vs. New Mexico
12. Illinois (1-1). There is a reason why Lovie Smith has this job. And, we were reminded of it the 48-23 home loss to North Carolina.
Last week: 12
Up next: vs. Western Michigan
13. Purdue (1-1). A demoralizing home loss to Cincinnati was a buzz-kill to a season-opening win vs. FCS Eastern Kentucky. How will Purdue respond?
Last week: 14
Up next: Idle
14. Northwestern (0-2). The season already is threatening to go off the rails after opening losses at home to Western Michigan and now FCS Illinois State.
Last week: 10
Up next: vs. Duke