Big Ten Football: 5 things to know before Northwestern vs. Illinois State
Northwestern takes on Illinois State at 3:30 p.m. ET Saturday on BTN/BTN2Go.
I’ve got five things to know before the Wildcats kick off Week 2 in the Big Ten.
1. This will be just the second meeting between these teams. The Wildcats won the only other meeting 37-3 in 2010 in Evanston led by 240 yards and two touchdowns in the air by Dan Persa.
2. This is the 11th straight season that the Wildcats have faced a FCS opponent and they’ve won the previous nine. Northwestern’s last loss against a FCS team came in 2006 when they lost 34-17 to New Hampshire.
3. Illinois State enters this week ranked No. 9 in the FCS Coaches Poll.
4. This is the first time Northwestern has started the season with four straight home games since 1926 when they opened up with South Dakota, Carleton, Indiana and Notre Dame.
5. Illinois State is led by Big Ten grad (Purdue) Brock Spack at head coach. Spack is 57-29 all-time at Illinois State and was the 2014 MVFC Coach of the year.