Big Ten Football: 5 things to know before Iowa vs. Iowa State
Iowa will take on Iowa State at 7:30 p.m. ET Saturday on BTN/BTN2Go.
I’ve got five things to know before the Hawkeyes kick off Week 2 in the Big Ten.
1. The battle for the Cy-Hawk Trophy continues for the 40th straight season. The road team has won the last four games in the series. The last time the home team won was in 2011 as Iowa State won in triple overtime.
2. The teams have split the last 16 meetings in the series. Iowa State has won seven of the previous 15 times.
3. The Hawkeyes are 4-1 under Kirk Ferentz as a ranked team facing Iowa State with three of those wins coming by double digits.
4. The last time Iowa was ranked when facing Iowa State was in 2010 when the Hawkeyes won 35-7 at home.
5. Close games is nothing new in this series. In the last 5 meetings, Iowa has scored 122 points and Iowa State has scored 111. The teams are also very similar in first downs and total yards. However, the most important number is the wins, which Iowa State has three to Iowa’s two.