J.T. Barrett highlights Week 1 Big Ten Players of the Week
More BTN video
Our new video section is packed with more Big Ten video than ever before. Dive on in and share it on social media.
The Big Ten office released its Week 1 superlatives Monday morning, and the list includes a trio of first-time honorees.
In fact, Ohio State quarterback J.T. Barrett, he of a program-tying six touchdown passes and a program-record seven scores accounted for vs. Bowling Green, is the only previous recipient.
See all of the Week 1 honorees below.
Offensive Player of the Week: J.T. Barrett, Ohio State, Jr., QB
- Accounted for a school-record seven touchdowns in Ohio State’s victory over Bowling Green to improve to 16-2 as a starter
- Completed 21 of 31 passes for 349 yards and six touchdowns, setting a personal best for passing yards and matching his career high for touchdown tosses
- Added one rushing touchdown to finish with 379 total yards of offense
- Claims the fifth Offensive Player of the Week award of his career and first since Oct. 26, 2015
- Last Ohio State Offensive Player of the Week: Ezekiel Elliott (Nov. 30, 2015)
Defensive Player of the Week: Mike McCray, Michigan, Sr., LB
- Led the Wolverines with nine total tackles, including six solo stops, as Michigan defeated Hawaii
- Recorded 3.5 tackles for loss, including a pair of sacks
- Added a forced fumble in the second quarter
- Earns his first career Defensive Player of the Week honor
- Last Michigan Defensive Player of the Week: Jourdan Lewis (Oct. 12, 2015)
Special Teams Player of the Week: Rafael Gaglianone, Wisconsin, Jr., PK
- Converted a game-winning 47-yard field goal with 3:47 remaining to guide the Badgers to a victory over nationally ranked LSU at Lambeau Field in Green Bay, Wis.
- Finished the game 3-for-3 on field goal attempts, connecting from 30 and 48 yards
- Recorded the fourth game-winning field goal of his career, the most in school history
- Claims his first career Special Teams Player of the Week honor
- Last Wisconsin Special Teams Player of the Week: Drew Meyer (Nov. 30, 2015)
Freshman of the Week: Anthony Nelson, Iowa, DE
- Recorded six total tackles, including 2.5 sacks, as the Hawkeyes defeated Miami (Ohio)
- Forced two fumbles, including one in the first quarter that led to a touchdown two plays later
- Added one pass breakup as Iowa won its eighth straight home game
- Wins his first career weekly award
- Last Iowa Freshman of the Week: Parker Hesse (Nov. 30, 2015)