@BTNStatsGuys: 10 facts to know before Ohio State's opener
Ohio State opens its 2016 season vs. instate foe Bowling Green at noon ET Saturday on BTN (Watch on BTN2Go).
Ohio State football
Before the Buckeyes, the preseason Big Ten favorite, kick things off, BTN researcher Harold Shelton has 10 Bowling Green-Ohio State facts for your consumption.
1. Ohio State is 34-1 all-time vs. current MAC schools, including 4-0 against Bowling Green.
2. The Buckeyes own the third-longest active win streak in season openers, at 16 in a row, behind Florida (26) and USC (18).
3. Urban Meyer started his coaching career at Bowling Green, where he amassed a 17-6 record in 2001-2002.
4. Ohio State has won 40 consecutive games against in-state opponents, with the last loss coming vs. Oberlin in 1921.
5. Ohio State’s 50 wins the last four seasons are tied with Alabama for the most in the FBS, and its four consecutive 12-win seasons are tied with Boise State (2008-11) for the most ever.
6. No FBS team returns fewer starters than Ohio State’s six, two fewer than Akron and Navy.
7. Ohio State, ranked No. 6, has appeared in a nation’s best 28 consecutive preseason AP polls, 11 more than LSU.
8. J.T. Barrett dominated down the stretch last season, completing 66 percent of his passes and accounting for 20 touchdowns, in the final seven games.
9. Bowling Green, which owns an FBS-best 15 straight games of scoring 27-plus points, became the first team to have at least 5,000 passing yards and 2,500 rushing yards in a season last year.
10. Bowling Green was the only non-power conference team to win multiple true road games (at Purdue; at Maryland) against power conference opponents last season.