By the numbers: Your guide to the Sweet 16, 1-16
BTN LIVE - Wisconsin's Vitto Brown talks Badger men's basketball and making it to Sweet Sixteen with Rick Pizzo on BTN Live.
The Sweet 16 is set to begin tonight as Maryland will take on No. 1-seeded Kansas at 9:40 p.m. ET.
No. 5 Indiana and No. 7 Wisconsin will take the floor on Friday. The Hoosiers will battle No. 1-seeded North Carolina, while the Badgers are set to take on No. 6-seeded Notre Dame.
To get you ready for this week’s Sweet 16 action, I came up with a Big Ten basketball fan guide, starting at No. 1, and working all the way down to No. 16.
1. As in No. 1 seeds. All four top seeds are in the Sweet 16 this season, the first time this has happened since 2012.
2. Double-digit seeds left in the NCAA Tournament. A total of 10 double-digit seeds advanced past the first round, yet only two remain.
3. Big Ten teams left in this year’s NCAA Tournament — Wisconsin, Indiana and Maryland.
4. As in Final Four. Eight of the 16 coaches left in this year’s tournament have coached in a Final Four. Tom Crean is the only Big Ten coach who has coached in a Final Four.
5. As in No. 5 seed, which both Indiana and Maryland are. Both schools will have tough matchups this weekend. The Hoosiers will go up against No. 1-seeded North Carolina, while the Terps will take on No 1-seeded Kansas.
6. Total NCAA Tournament wins for Tom Crean during his time at Indiana.
7. Wisconsin’s seed in this year’s NCAA Tournament, the third lowest remaining seed in the bracket. The Badgers will take on No. 6-seeded Notre Dame in the Sweet 16.
8. Total losses by Maryland this season. The Terps are 27-8 heading into their matchup against No. 1-seeded Kansas.
9. Points per game Wisconsin’s Nigel Hayes is averaging in the NCAA Tournament. That is seven points less than his season average.
10. Assists by Yogi Ferrell in Indiana’s first round win over Chattanooga. It was Ferrell’s first double-digit assist game this year.
11. Regular season wins Wisconsin ran off after starting the year 9-9.
12. Losses by Wisconsin this season (22-12).
13. The Hoosiers rank in the Top 13 in the country in field-goal percentage (50.5), 3-point field-goal percentage (41.6), scoring margin (+13.5), scoring offense (82.5) and 3-point field goals made per game (9.8).
14. Total Final Four appearances by Kansas. Maryland takes on the Jayhawks in a Sweet 16 matchup on Thursday night.
15. Wins by Wisconsin coach Greg Gard in his first season as the Badgers’ head coach.
16. Years since the Big Ten has won an NCAA Basketball championship (Michigan State in 2000).