NCAA Volleyball Tournament: Huskers, Gophers advance
Minnesota Volleyball (@GopherVBall) December 12, 2015
Here’s a look at Friday night’s action in the NCAA Women’s Volleyball Tournament: Nebraska swept BYU 3-0 (26-24, 25-17, 25-23) and Minnesota topped Illinois 3-0 (25-22, 25-23, 25-17). Wisconsin fell to Florida, Ohio State lost to Washington, and Hawaii knocked off Penn State. On Saturday, Minnesota faces Hawaii and Nebraska faces Washington. The winners advance to the Final Four.
Track the entire NCAA Women’s Volleyball action by using the NCAA.com scoreboard.
The fourth-seeded Nebraska volleyball team moved within one win of Omaha by sweeping 13th-seeded BYU, 26-24, 25-17, 25-23. The Huskers improved to 29-4 with the win and advanced to a regional final for the fourth straight year. Nebraska will face fifth-seeded Washington on Saturday at 3 p.m. (CT) in the NCAA regional final, with the winner advancing to the NCAA semifinals in Omaha next week. Read more here.
For the Gophers, Minnesota beat Illinois in three sets in the NCAA Regional Semifinals. The Gophers swept the Illini 25-22, 25-23, 25-17 to advance to the Elite Eight and improve to 29-4 on the season. Read more here.
Also, take a look at some fast facts from this year’s Big Ten volleyball season.
- Minnesota’s Daly Santana earned Big Ten Player of the Year.
- Minnesota’s head coach Hugh McCutcheon was named the Big Ten Coach of the Year by both the coaches and the media.
- Minnesota’s Samantha Seliger Swenson claim3e Freshman of the Year plaudits.
- Wisconsin enters the NCAA Tournament regional round on a 14-match winning streak, while Nebraska is on a 12-match streak.
- Four Big Ten teams are among the top 10 in NCAA RPI: No. 2 Minnesota, No. 4 Nebraska, No. 5 Wisconsin and No. 10 Penn State.
Husker Volleyball (@Huskervball) December 11, 2015