Big Ten Power Rankings: Minnesota moves up to No. 4 this week
Ohio State remains atop my latest Big Ten Power Rankings, presented by ArcelorMittal, with Michigan State and Wisconsin in hot pursuit. Nebraska takes a dip, while Northwestern rises. And we have a new team in the cellar.
Here are my latest power rankings.
1. Ohio State (10-1, 7-1). It wasn’t pretty from start to finish, but the Buckeyes topped Indiana to clinch the East. Playoff hopes remain alive.
Last week: 1
Up next: Michigan
More Big Ten coverage
Get our favorite Big Ten football links.
- Scoreboard: Relive Week 13 action
- Standings: OSU clinches Big Ten East
- Stats: View Big Ten statistical leaders
- Power Rankings: Gophers up to No. 4
- Bowl Projections: Wildcats enter list
- Predictions: Week 13 picks revisited
- Putting OSU's streak in perspective
- See what our guy learned in Week 13
- Video: Jalin Marshall scores 4 TDs
- Gophers card 'signature win' of Kill era
- Watch Week 13 Big Ten highlights
- Video: Randy Edsall tosses headset
- Week 13 honors, grades & numbers
2. Michigan State (9-2, 6-1). The Spartans have looked impressive in the last two games after that home loss to Ohio State. This team is finishing strong.
Last week: 2
Up next: at Penn State
3. Wisconsin (9-2, 6-1). The Badgers have won six in a row and seemingly get better each week. Melvin Gordon is chasing history.
Last week: 3
Up next: Minnesota
4. Minnesota (8-3, 5-2). The Golden Gophers just find a way to get it done. One more victory, and Minnesota will be in the Big Ten title game. Amazing.
Last week: 5
Up next: at Wisconsin
5. Nebraska (8-3, 4-3). The Cornhuskers have lost consecutive conference games for the first time since 2009. Is another four-loss season looming?
Last week: 4
Up next: at Iowa (Nov. 28)
6. Maryland (7-4, 4-3). The Terps have a good shot to finish 5-3 in the Big Ten in their debut. Impressive work by Randy Edsall.
Last week: 6
Up next: Rutgers
7. Iowa (7-4, 4-3). The inconsistent Hawkeyes still haven’t beaten a team that has a winning record. They’ll get another shot Friday afternoon.
Last week: 7
Up next: Nebraska (Nov. 28)
8. Northwestern (5-6, 3-4). The offense has come alive with 81 points the last two games. This team was 3-6 at one point. Win one more, and NU is going bowling.
Last week: 11
Up next: Illinois
9. Penn State (6-5, 2-5). The offense continues to confound; PSU hasn’t scored over 19 points in regulation in any Big Ten game this season.
Last week: 8
Up next: Michigan State
10. Rutgers (6-5, 2-5). That’s four losses in five games for the Scarlet Knights. In the last two defeats, RU has a total of three points.
Last week: 9
Up next: at Maryland
|POWER RANKINGS PRESENTED BY|
11. Michigan (5-6, 3-4). The Wolverines must win at Ohio State to become bowl eligible vs. a Buckeye squad that has won 23 Big Ten regular-season games in a row.
Last week: 10
Up next: at Ohio State
12. Illinois (5-6, 2-5). The late win vs. Penn State means the Illini are one win from earning a bowl spot.
Last week: 13
Up next: at Northwestern
13. Indiana (3-8, 0-7). The Hoosiers battled valiantly at Ohio State but still lost their sixth in a row. But Tevin Coleman has been fun to watch.
Last week: 14
Up next: Purdue
14. Purdue (3-8, 1-6). Coming off a bye, the Boilers hoped to finish strong. Alas, they got clobbered at home by Northwestern, 38-14, and have lost five in a row.
Last week: 12
Up next: at Indiana
|About Tom Dienhart||BTN.com senior writer Tom Dienhart is a veteran sports journalist who covers Big Ten football and men’s basketball for BTN.com and BTN TV. Find him on Twitter and Facebook, read all of his work at btn.com/tomdienhart, and subscribe to his posts via RSS. Also, send questions to his weekly mailbag using the form below and read all of his previous answers in his reader mailbag section.|
And if you want to leave a comment on this post, use the box below. All comments need to be approved by a moderator.