BTN LIVE - Rick Pizzo talks to Sam Ficken about game-winning FG and Special Teams Player of the Week.
The Big Ten Conference released its Week 1 Players of the Week, including Nebraska running back Ameer Abdullah, who ran for a career-high 232 yards vs. Florida Atlantic. See all the honorees in this post.
Get our latest Week 1 coverage:
- Gallery: Penn State WR Geno Lewis’ unbelievable Week 1 catch
- Video: Westerkamp catch tops BTN.com’s Week 1 top 10 plays
- What did Tom Dienhart learn about Big Ten in Week 1? Here’s what!
- How did we do? Week 1 Big Ten football predictions revisited
- Twitter: Get BTN analyst Gerry DiNardo’s Week 1 Sunday Ruminations
Offensive Player of the Week: Ameer Abdullah, Nebraska, RB
- Rushed for a career-high 232 yards on 21 carries, an 11.0 average, and one touchdown to help Nebraska defeat Florida Atlantic
- His 232 yards are the 15th-most in Nebraska history and marked his 18th career game over 100 rushing yards, including his 12th in 14 games since the start of last season
- Became the eighth player in school history to surpass 3,000 career rushing yards and moved into the No. 6 spot on the career rushing list
- Records the second Offensive Player of the Week award of his career and first since Oct. 7, 2013
- Last Nebraska Offensive Player of the Week: Ameer Abdullah (Oct. 7, 2013)
B1G HIGHLIGHT - Ameer Abdullah takes it 47 yards to the end zone for his first TD of 2014.
Defensive Player of the Week: Johnathan Aiken, Rutgers, S
- Recorded seven tackles and a pass breakup, and forced one fumble to help lead Rutgers to a victory over Washington State in Seattle
- Registered a forced fumble off a punt to give Rutgers the ball back midway through the fourth quarter, leading to the winning touchdown
- Broke up a fourth down pass play late in the fourth quarter to seal the win
- Claims his first career Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week honor
- First Rutgers Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week
Special Teams Player of the Week: Sam Ficken, Penn State, K
- Converted a career-high four field goals, including the game-winning 36-yarder on the final play of the game for a 26-24 victory over Central Florida in Dublin, Ireland
- Converted field goal attempts from 22, 33, 24 and 36 yards, with the final three field goals coming in the second half
- Recorded his second career game-winning field goal, joining the overtime game-winner against Wisconsin in 2012
- Claims his third career Special Teams Player of the Week honor and first since Sept. 2, 2013
- Last Penn State Special Teams Player of the Week: Sam Ficken (Sept. 2, 2013)
Co-Freshmen of the Week: J. T. Barrett, Ohio State QB
- Led Ohio State to a victory over Navy in his collegiate debut
- Finished the game with 276 yards of total offense, completing 12 of 15 passes for 226 yards and adding 50 yards on the ground
- Completed his last four passing attempts for 130 yards and two touchdowns, including an 80-yard pass to Devin Smith in the third quarter to give the Buckeyes the lead for good
- Wins his first career weekly award
- Last Ohio State Freshman of the Week: Dontre Wilson (Oct. 28, 2013)
B1G HIGHLIGHT - What did QB J.T. Barrett think of his Ohio State debut?
DaeSean Hamilton, Penn State, WR
- Broke school freshman records for receptions and receiving yards in Penn State’s 26-24 victory over Central Florida in Dublin, Ireland
- Finished the game with 11 catches for 165 yards, an average of 15.0 yards per reception
- Became the first Penn State freshman since 2005 to eclipse 100 receiving yards in a game
- Wins his first career weekly award
- Last Penn State Freshman of the Week: Christian Hackenberg (Dec. 2, 2013)