Countdown to kickoff: East best uniform?

Kickoff is fast approaching. To help count down the days to Aug. 28, the BTN.com team is discussing one topic every day. Think of it as our countdown to kickoff. Today’s topic: East best uniform?

See Tom Dienhart, Sean Merriman and Brent Yarina’s picks in this post.

See our other countdown features:

Rob Kinnan-USA TODAY Sports

Rob Kinnan-USA TODAY Sports

Tom Dienhart: Maryland. Wild? Garish? Loud? Offensive? So what? I love the togs that the Terps wear. Think of Maryland as the “Oregon of the East” when it comes to attire. The kids love it. And, that’s really all that matters, right? Right.

***

Geoff Burke-USA TODAY Sports

Geoff Burke-USA TODAY Sports

Sean Merriman: Maryland. From a traditional standpoint, the Big Ten East is stacked with some of the game’s most iconic uniforms. But this question is asking for my favorite uniform, which is why I’m taking Maryland. Sure, the helmet is a bit loud in certain uniform combinations, but check out these “black ops” Under Armour unis the Terrapins wear. These uniforms have a unique design and really pop. Also, the design on Maryland’s uniform pays homage to the state flag, which I love. How do you top that? Watch Shawne Merriman discuss Maryland’s threads.

***

Matthew O'Haren-USA TODAY Sports

Matthew O’Haren-USA TODAY Sports

Brent Yarina: Penn State. I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: There are few things in the Big Ten more picturesque than a White Out at Beaver Stadium. A big reason for that are the shots of Penn State’s clean and iconic uniform up against the sea of white. Call the uniform plain or boring all you want, it looks great, and that’s the case whether there are names on the back or not.

Find out more about: ,

Big Ten Fan on 8/13/2014 @ 4:54pm EDT Said:

This one isn’t close, Penn State. Ohio State’s classic uniform is a clear number two. After that it gets interesting. Michigan’s Princeton copy cat helmet is as cheesy as ever. Sparty’s uniforms are a few details from being great. Maryland’s technicolor dream duds are an embarrassment as are Indiana’s helmets.

Ray O' Terp on 8/13/2014 @ 5:08pm EDT Said:

MD has so many combinations and I think the two shown are among the least favorites of the fans.

Bill on 8/13/2014 @ 6:37pm EDT Said:

seriously. Michigan that is all.

TerrapinsCFB on 8/13/2014 @ 7:38pm EDT Said:

Even as a Terps fan I still have to agree with Brent Yarina: http://cfbroundtable.com/2014/ok-armour-enough-enough/

Ben on 8/13/2014 @ 9:24pm EDT Said:

@ “Big Ten Fan

“Ohio State’s classic uniform is a clear number two.” “Michigan’s Princeton copy cat helmet is as cheesy as ever.” Hmmm I wonder who you root for? While it’s true Crisler made the helmet design while he was at Princeton, it’s not “copying” when the man who designed it brought it to the school that he coached at next.

Mark Ball on 8/13/2014 @ 9:41pm EDT Said:

Boy are these two comments way off base. PSU’s uniforms are the most boring in the country. OSU’s color combo is uglier than Mick Jagger. Any car salesman will tell you how poorly green cars sell so MSU is out. IU, MD and Rutgers…please. Hmmm, who doses that leave? Oh yes, the classic and iconic U of M. Coach Fritz Crisler is the first to do this while coaching at Princeton and brought the idea three years later to UM where the helmet became famous and has been copied many times since. Yes, UM has the BEST uniforms in the division by a long shot.

Big Ten Fan on 8/13/2014 @ 9:44pm EDT Said:

Crisler didn’t create it.

Ben Sears on 8/13/2014 @ 9:45pm EDT Said:

Indiana with either the chrome or state flag helmet. Classic look with modern upgrades.

hadley smith on 8/14/2014 @ 10:44am EDT Said:

Crisler when he came to mich. big ten fan did create the mich. helmet. It was a different design than the Princeton helmet was. So, if if we want to be politically correct, mark ball is right..you are wrong..case closed..read up on your history man..

Doc on 8/14/2014 @ 12:54pm EDT Said:

I think the East is loaded with great UNIs. Love Michigan and Penn State’s home blues. Love Ohio State’s classic road whites. I like what Sparty did the last few years with the Spartan on the helmet. I like Maryland’s UNIs; but I’d probably go with the classic M on the helmet as their base helmet (similar to Oregons O … which is in almost all combinations). I did like their black ops from last year. Indiana? Well, they’re trying some different things which is cool. Rutgers’ chrome is probably the one I’m not really crazy about. I like Rutgers classic unis with the block R on the helmet.

John on 8/14/2014 @ 8:23pm EDT Said:

Dinehart loses all credibility. Maryland has by far the absolute worst uniforms in all of Div 1 football. Nobody else is even a close 2nd!!!