Steve Spurrier makes jab at Big Ten's depth
From the can’t-the-season-just-start-already file, Steve Spurrier made headlines Sunday by making a jab at the Big Ten. Spurrier, in reference to Nick Saban’s idea for the “Power Five” conferences to only play one another, knocked the Big Ten’s depth. See the quote in this post.
Check out our other Gone Viral posts:
- Watch Tom Brady meet young fan, 11, battling cancer
- Watch Michigan DT Maurice Hurst hit the sled with Tom Dienhart
- Watch Minnesota surprise kicker Justin Juenemann with full scholarship
- Watch former Wisconsin star Frank Kaminsky hit ’85’ on radar gun
- Yes, Michigan State’s Tom Izzo subscribes to the 5-second rule
Really, I’m not so sure this is so much a knock on the Big Ten as it is a compliment to East Carolina. The Pirates are fresh off a 10-3 season and are expected to have another solid team.
One expert seems to agree:
That said, Spurrier might want to consider his own conference, too, when referencing a lack of depth. The SEC had two winless teams in conference last season, with Arkansas and Kentucky both going 0-8, and six of its 14 teams finished under .500 in SEC play; in comparison, the then-12-team Big Ten had one and five, respectively.
|About Brent Yarina||BTN.com senior editor Brent Yarina covers football and men’s basketball for BTN.com. He writes the popular uniform feature “Clothes Call,” which also focuses on the latest cosmetic changes across Big Ten arenas and stadiums. Read all of his work here. You can subscribe to Yarina’s RSS feed and follow him on Twitter @BTNBrentYarina.|