From the can’t-the-season-just-start-already file, Steve Spurrier made headlines Sunday by making a jab at the Big Ten. Spurrier, in reference to Nick Saban’s idea for the “Power Five” conferences to only play one another, knocked the Big Ten’s depth. See the quote in this post.
Check out our other Gone Viral posts:
- Big Ten stars do their thing for Twitter Mirror at Big Ten media days
- Listen to Vitto Brown’s retaliation track to teammate Nigel Hayes
- He does it again! Shilique Calhoun plays reporter at Big Ten media days
- Watch Iowa DE Drew Ott eat raw egg at Big Ten media days
- Listen to Wisconsin star forward Nigel Hayes’ rap song ‘WiscGod’
Really, I’m not so sure this is so much a knock on the Big Ten as it is a compliment to East Carolina. The Pirates are fresh off a 10-3 season and are expected to have another solid team.
One expert seems to agree:
That said, Spurrier might want to consider his own conference, too, when referencing a lack of depth. The SEC had two winless teams in conference last season, with Arkansas and Kentucky both going 0-8, and six of its 14 teams finished under .500 in SEC play; in comparison, the then-12-team Big Ten had one and five, respectively.
|About Brent Yarina||BTN.com senior editor Brent Yarina covers football and men’s basketball for BTN.com. He writes the popular uniform feature “Clothes Call,” which also focuses on the latest cosmetic changes across Big Ten arenas and stadiums. Read all of his work here. You can subscribe to Yarina’s RSS feed and follow him on Twitter @BTNBrentYarina.|