Get to know Maryland's Byrd Stadium
Maryland calls Byrd Stadium its home, and it has since 1950. A couple fun facts: The stadium played host to the 1953 national champions; and the attendance record (58,973) was set vs. another future Big Ten member, Penn State, in 1975. Learn more about the Terps’ home in this post.
1950: Constructed at a cost of $1 million. The original capacity was 34,680, but could be boosted to more than 50,000 with temporary bleachers around the rim of the stadium.
1950: Stadium hosted its first and only bowl game, the Presidential Cup Bowl, which featured Texas A&M and Georgia.
1953: Byrd is home to the national champion Terrapin football team.
1955: In a game billed as the “Best of the East” vs. the “Best of the West,” Maryland defeated No. 1-ranked UCLA 7-0. Historians called that game one of the greatest of the decade.
1957: Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Phillip visited while former Terp head coach Jim Tatum returned to the scene of his greatest coaching triumphs. The Terps went on to upset North Carolina in what then-head coach Tommy Mont later called his finest moment as coach.
1975: The Byrd Stadium attendance record of 58,973 was set when 14th-ranked Maryland played host to ninth-ranked Penn State.
1985: The Terps, ranked No. 1 in the preseason by Sport magazine, set the then all-time school home attendance record, averaging 49,385 for five games.
1994: Following the end of the football season, renovations continued with the addition of an upper deck.
1995: Seating capacity is 48,055 – an increase of 12,000 – following the completion of the upper deck on the stadium’s north side.
2001: The eventual ACC Champion Terps posted a 7-0 record at Byrd Stadium, besting the 6-0 home mark most-recently accomplished by the 1976 team.
2003: Maryland went 6-0 at home while averaging a school-record 51,236 fans for the six dates at Byrd.
2006: The first school to sell naming rights to its field, Byrd Stadium became Chevy Chase Bank Field at Byrd Stadium.
2008: A $1.2 million state-of-the-art scoreboard is installed prior to the regular season.
2009: A $50.8 million expansion project is completed, and the name of the facility is changed to Capital One Field at Byrd Stadium.