NBA Draft: Adreian Payne's suit honors Lacey Holsworth

Former Michigan State standout Adreian Payne is now a member of the Atlanta Hawks. But, as Payne makes the transition from college to the NBA, there is one memory he vowed to hold on to during this process: Lacey Holsworth.

[ MORE: Seven Big Ten players selected in 2014 NBA Draft | Poll: Best dressed? ]

Payne honored the late Holsworth by embedding her nickname, Adorable Lacey, into the suit coat he wore to Thursday night’s NBA draft. The pink lining had significance, too, as it matched the color of the bracelet Payne wears to remember Holsworth.

Holsworth, the 8-year-old MSU super fan who formed a genuine relationship with Payne two years ago, lost her battle with cancer this past April.

[ MORE: Read more about Lacey Holsworth's story ]

Lacey’s mother, Heather, was one of Payne’s guests at the draft. When Payne was asked what Lacey would do if she was at the draft, he responded, “She would definitely give me a big hug and tell me she loves me.”

About Sean Merriman BTN.com web editor Sean Merriman covers football and men’s basketball and provides original content for BTN.com. You can follow him on Twitter @BTNSean.

Originally from Farmington Hills, MI, I have worked at the Big Ten Network since 2012 and took over my role as web editor and blogger in August, 2013. Follow me on twitter for constant Big Ten updates @srmerriman. Thanks and enjoy!!

Find out more about: ,

13 Post Your Comment
kate hubbell on 6/26/2014 @ 10:47pm EDT Said:

best of luck AP. I know you’ll do the spartan nation proud.

Lynn shackelford on 6/26/2014 @ 10:54pm EDT Said:

That is so sweet. He looked great tonight!

Jodi Hess on 6/26/2014 @ 11:18pm EDT Said:

What a wonderful representative for MSU and Lacey!

John on 6/27/2014 @ 12:24am EDT Said:

What a really neat thing for him to do!! I’m a die-hard Hawkeye, but I have a lot of admiration for Payne and I hope he does well in the NBA!!

Heather on 6/27/2014 @ 7:51am EDT Said:

I hope he soars in the NBA what an example he has set!

Jennifer Moon on 6/27/2014 @ 11:00am EDT Said:

I don’t know what Adreian was like before he met Lacey, but I’m guessing he’s a changed man forever. What a wonderful experience it must have been for Lacey, and, in a much different way, for Adreian. In a world filled with empty “friendships”, they clearly formed a bond that not even death could break. On the biggest night of his life, Lacey was front and center. As a Boilermaker, I’ve never been a big fan of MSU…..but I’m a very big fan of Adreian Payne and wish him all the best in the future!! We all could learn something from this man.

Elizabeth on 6/27/2014 @ 1:20pm EDT Said:

I love him more every day. He is a class act all the way! Go GREEN!

Love Like Lacey on 6/27/2014 @ 2:39pm EDT Said:

Few things make me more proud to be a Spartan than witnessing Lacey’s impact on our community as a whole. Adreian deserves the world, and we’re all certain Lacey’s looking down on him cheering for every 3 and dunk.

11811 on 6/27/2014 @ 6:05pm EDT Said:

And I just cried…

Tony on 6/27/2014 @ 11:05pm EDT Said:

I am a UofM fan but am also a huge Payne fan. I wish there were more athletes like Payne. Congrats and I wish you the best in the NBA

Jeremy Connolly on 6/27/2014 @ 11:52pm EDT Said:

So proud of him, his accomplishments, and the kindness and work ethic he represents. I wish him well. Being from the state of michigan, I wish he would find his way to Detroit. Atlanta you are lucky.

thesby on 6/28/2014 @ 9:03am EDT Said:

good move from a great young man in adrian payne! lacey was watching adrian get drafted from above in sprit and smiling in her angel suit!

thesby on 6/28/2014 @ 9:05am EDT Said:

a very sweet move by a great young man in adrian payne! lacey was watching adrian get drafted from above in sprit and smiling in her beautiful angel suit!