After winning the Big Ten title and the Rose Bowl Game, Michigan State has rewarded coach Mark Dantonio and his assistants, the school announced Tuesday. Dantonio, who has compiled a 64-29 record (.688) in his first seven seasons, received a revised contract and defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi is now the highest-paid assistant in the game ($904,583).
Under the amended terms, a year has been added to the length of Dantonio’s contract, making it a six-year rollover, and his annual compensation increases from $1.99 million to $3.64 million.
In addition, increases have been made to his base salary (from $682,905 to $2 million), supplemental income (from $869,000 to $1 million) and contingent annual base (from $200,000 to $286,000). Under the new terms, Dantonio will have access to a private airplane for 25 hours of personal use. He also will continue to receive $100,000 from his shoe/apparel agreement and $50,000 guaranteed performance incentives.
The amended contract now provides Dantonio with an opportunity to work for the MSU Athletics Department for five years (previously two years) after he retires from coaching, and the buy-out provisions have been modified.
Here are the annual compensation components of the amended contract:
• $2,000,000 base salary
• $1,000,000 supplemental income
• $286,000 contingent annual bonus
• $204,917 benefits
• $100,000 shoe/apparel agreement
• $50,000 guaranteed performance incentives
Hollis also announced that nearly $785,000 has been allocated to enhance the salaries of the assistant coaches.
Here are the updated salary figures (includes annual retention bonus) for the football coaching staff:
• assistant head coach/defensive coordinator Pat Narduzzi – $904,583
• co-offensive coordinator/tight ends coach Jim Bollman – $368,333
• secondary coach Harlon Barnett – $260,000
• defensive line coach Ron Burton – $243,750
• quarterbacks coach/recruiting coordinator Brad Salem – $254,583
• wide receivers coach Terrence Samuel – $243,750
• offensive line coach Mark Staten – $254,583
• linebackers/special teams coach Mike Tressel – $260,000
• co-offensive coordinator/running backs coach Dave Warner – $379,167