B1G Player of the Year tracker: Marble at No. 1
Another week is in the books, and that means it’s time for my latest Big Ten Player of the Year tracker. Michigan State’s Gary Harris topped my initial list last week, but it’s Iowa’s Devyn Marble on top this week. Agree? Feel free to enter your thoughts in the comment box at the bottom of the post.
[ MORE: Tom Dienhart previews the week ahead ]
1. Devyn Marble, Iowa – 42%, 16.5 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 2.9 apg, 1.9 spg. While Gary Harris and Nik Stauskas are struggling from the field, Marble is fresh off an impressive 26-point effort (6-of-10 on 3-pointers) in Iowa’s gigantic win vs. then-No. 16 Michigan. When he’s on, he’s as prolific as any Big Ten scorer.
Last week: No. 3
2. Gary Harris, Michigan State – 41%, 17.6 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 2.7 apg, 2.0 spg. Even Harris admitted his 3-of-20 performance in Sunday’s loss at Wisconsin was pitiful. In the last four games, the sophomore has hit just 18-of- 61 shots (29.5 percent). He was 24-of-38 (63 percent) in the previous three.
Last week: No. 1
3. Terran Petteway, Nebraska – 45%, 17.5 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 1.6 apg. Petteway’s run of consecutive games in double digits (17) ended in Wednesday’s blowout loss at Michigan. But, the Nebraska star bounced back with 17 points Saturday to help the Huskers rally past Northwestern and card their first Big Ten road win.
Last week: No. 4
4. Nik Stauskas, Michigan – 49%, 17.0 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 3.7 apg. It’s hard to believe, but Stauskas has made just five field goals over the last three games. Even more troubling, perhaps: He’s averaged only five shot attempts during the funk. Have Big Ten teams figured out how to defend Stauskas? Has Stauskas hit a wall? Whatever the case, he’s struggling in all facets.
Last week: No. 2
5. Yogi Ferrell, Indiana – 43%, 17.6 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 4.0 apg. The Hoosiers have won just two of their last six since upsetting Wisconsin, but no one can blame Ferrell. After all, the point guard is doing it on both ends of the floor and averaging 16.7 points, 3.3 assists and 2.7 triples per game.
Last week: No. 5
Others considered: Noah Vonleh, Indiana; Aaron White, Iowa; Drew Crawford, Northwestern; Aaron Craft, Ohio State; Sam Dekker, Wisconsin.
|About Brent Yarina||BTN.com senior editor Brent Yarina covers football and men’s basketball for BTN.com. He writes the popular uniform feature “Clothes Call,” which also focuses on the latest cosmetic changes across Big Ten arenas and stadiums. Read all of his work here. You can subscribe to Yarina’s RSS feed and follow him on Twitter @BTNBrentYarina.|